Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Considering a new tank???
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MattWilson11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.15(Tue)9:06    Post subject: Considering a new tank??? Reply with quote

Hi

I curently have 2 FW tanks...

I have a spare 64ltr tank which I would love to set up as a marine tank, I am in the (very) early stages of reasearching the equipment and water parameters etc, (so please excuse my naivety).

I appreciate that I should really read up about everything myself, but I'm dying to know if I'm reaching beyond my abilities...

Stocking-

2 x Ocellaris Clowns

2 x Skunk cleaner shrimp

5 x Turbo snails

1 x Florida fighting conch

Would I be over stocked?

Also the place I'd really like to place my tank would be subjected to some direct sunlight, would/does direct sunlight affect marine tanks as it does tropical tanks?

I'm going to get back to researching, but, any help would be appreciated.
Crystal
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.15(Tue)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very experienced my any means, but....

at 64 Ltrs, that would make the tank about 17 Gallon, right? That seems pretty small for Saltwater. I have a 32 Gallon and I was told that that is the smallest that one really should go with SW, you have to remember that the smaller the tank the faster a change can affect water so smaller generally means less stable.

Also, when it comes to my 32 Gallon I was told that if I was going to have 2 Ocellaris Clowns and some inverts that that would pretty much fill up my tank so putting that in a tank almost half the size seems risky to me.

Lastly, when it comes to sunlight, SW is even more susceptible to sunlight than FW. I also have a 55 Gallon FW and I had two spots to put the tanks, on in light and one out, so I was told to definately put the SW in the room with less sunlight.

Like I said, I'm not the most experienced, I'm just starting out with my tank too... just trying to pass on the info I've gotten. Very Happy
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.15(Tue)17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal is giving you good advice here, a 30 gallon is the minimum I will always suggest for a beginner's marine system.

Direct sunlight should always be avoided due to algae and temperature problems. You can always block off a window with dark curtains if needed, but even then you need to avoid any drafts which can wreak havoc on your temp!

Here is a link to more info on Strombus alatus the Florida Fighting Conch, they are raised in captivity by ORA:
http://www.orafarm.com/conch.html
MattWilson11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice, but not really sure I could facilitate a 30 gal tank.

It might be more sensible to give up on the idea. Although if I were willing to put in the time and effort of ensuring that the water parameters are kept correctly and took my time introducing critters and did it very slowly is it possible for a newbie to run a 17gal successful tank?

I have read that 'nano' tanks can be as small as 45ltrs and can house a variety of inverts and an ocellaris comfortably.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.wi1son wrote:
I appreciate the advice, but not really sure I could facilitate a 30 gal tank.

It might be more sensible to give up on the idea. Although if I were willing to put in the time and effort of ensuring that the water parameters are kept correctly and took my time introducing critters and did it very slowly is it possible for a newbie to run a 17gal successful tank?

I have read that 'nano' tanks can be as small as 45ltrs and can house a variety of inverts and an ocellaris comfortably.

It certainly is possible but also problematic. Providing the proper care is provided, you can keep a tiny system of small hardy animals... only you can decide if it's worth the work and if they are comfortable. The main thing is water parameters need to be kept stable... (stability = success). Small volumes of water are simply less stable. Your research will lead to success.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do try a tank that small, I'd skip the clowns. Down the road you could add a small fish like a goby or firefish, but I wouldn't go bigger.
MattWilson11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd skip the clowns. Down the road you could add a small fish like a goby or firefish, but I wouldn't go bigger.

Is this because the bio load would affect water parameters too much or because the tank is too small for that size fish?
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.wi1son wrote:
Is this because the bio load would affect water parameters too much or because the tank is too small for that size fish?

A bit of both. You could arguably keep a clown in a tank that small (I've seen single Ocellaris housed in tanks as small as a 10 gallon), but it's not ideal for it. The recommended size for clowns is usually 30 gallons and up.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: