Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What to Do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.14(Mon)23:26    Post subject: What to Do? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I haven't been on here for a while. Anyway, before I ask, I'll give you some info. My system will run as follows: tank water flows into overflow and down into filter. The filter then pumps at 275 gph into the sump(next to filter and at same level). The water is first run through a T and water runs into either the skimmer area or the refugium(partly closed ball valve slows restricts water speed/pressure). Both the skimmer area and refugium drain into a reservior, where water is sucked out of by an external pump. The water is pumped back into the tank which requires pumping up to 5 feet vertically. My question is, will the filter pump affect the system if the external pump is many times stronger? By the way, for these purposes, the tank is 90g. Can someone please help?
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need an answer. If you would like me to clear anything up, just ask. Also, I think I'm changing my design to incorporate an internal pump. They are cheaper and less maintanence.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the external pump is much stronger than the filter pump. WOuldn't you pump the sump dry if it can't keep up?

quick schematic might help
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry wish I could help you, my systems have all been run with only one or two submersible pumps located inside the main sump, if two pumps were used, both pumps worked together dedicated to returning water up to the tank. This improved turnover rate and provided a back up if one pump failed. The setup you are describing sounds problematic to me.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity should handle the flow into the sump and the pump should be used to fill the display tank only. Anything else is a recipe for disaster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.20(Sun)23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'll just elevate the filter higher up for gravity. Maybe I'll just put it on the sump.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS wrote:
Well, I guess I'll just elevate the filter higher up for gravity. Maybe I'll just put it on the sump.

Put it on the sump... what???... what kind of filter is it? Can you post a photo or simple diagram of this entire set up...
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.22(Tue)17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think I will put the filter on the sump because that would limit the height of the sump. The filter is an Eheim Professionel Wet/Dry Filter(model 2227). I don't have the sump design figured out yet; I've had so many ideas and this might not be The One. In the diagram, the water flows from the main tank, through the filter, and into the sump. The filter will be elevated if neccesary. Here's the diagram:

Will this work?

.............Sorry, I couldn't transfer the image onto photobucket for some reason. Anyway, it's a picture of a tank on a stand. There is a filter sitting on top of a little stool-like thing. There is a sump sitting next to the filter. Tubing runs from the tank to the filter, filter to the sump, and the sump to the main tank. The tubing from the filter to the sump is angled downward because the filter is elevated so the water runs down into the sump.

Also, an unrelated question, but I need to use .5 in tubing on a pump that has a .75 in outlet. What do I buy? Here is the pump: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=DN1129
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.23(Wed)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay do NOT run your cannister into the sump.
I would keep the cannister filter and the sump separate, allow the cannister filter to pump back into the display on it's own circuit. If you want a sump you will need an overflow prefilter for the display to gravity feed it or a drilled tank with an overflow inside the tank. The way you are trying to do it with one pump filling and a second pump returning is a recipe for disaster. What if one pump fails... think about it.
Your sump needs to be gravity fed. Pllenty of info on sumps here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.23(Wed)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been told this before but refuses to listen, it will only take one episode of a flooded floor, burned equipment and drained tank will be education enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: