Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Mandarin Question
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)14:51    Post subject: A Mandarin Question Reply with quote

I'm toying with the idea of changing my stocking plan to include a mandarin... I realize they need a very mature tank and I'm many months away from that, but I had a few questions. Would my current 46 g. tank with it's 37 lbs of LR be enough to support one? I already have lots and lots of pods running around on my rock, their population is definitly growing as I never saw them at all with the lights on and now I see several running around during the day and tons of them at night. But would that be enough? Also, if I was able to find one in a pet shop that was eating other foods already and then introduced it to my tank (after waiting the many months for it to mature!) would it continue eating whatever it was eating in the petshop or would it revert to just eating pods or would it eat both or does it depend on the individual? Thanks in advance for any insights you guys can give Smile
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had pretty good luck with mine in a 55 grew nicely. I did buy pods online and introduced an extra stock to the tank.

Can buy Amphipods from these guys.

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/swinverts.html

Not sure how many pods they eat.
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)17:03    Post subject: tank and stuff Reply with quote

I would shy away from keeping one is such a small tank. UNLESS...

You are willing to up the LR to about 100lbs which probably wouldn't fit nicely and in addition to that you should incorporate a refugium into your filtration scheme. Success shouldn't be measured in months, but in years. Saying I have kept a mandarin in my tank for 8 months is not successful. Keeping a mandarin for 8 years is in fact success. Just try to find out how many people are out there that have had one 8 years successfully in a smaller tank is near to impossible.

Mandarins have a great need for pods, and thus your pod population will dwindle or become extinct in that particular aquarium unless there is a safe haven for them to survive and reproduce. If the mandarin has access to them, then they are as good as gone, but if grown in a refugium and they self populate or repopulate the tank you should be OK. I wouldn't recommend using less than a 20gal for a refugium. Unfortunately the pod population in your tank would disappear in a matter of weeks. Then your mandarin would be back to starving.

As far as prepared foods go, they may eat it, but prepared or frozen foods may not have all the nutrients that they need and this depends on size of the mandarin and the type of food as well.

They may keep eating it, but just like Rock Beauties eat(pigs) but will dwindle and die due to a lack of nutrition. Rock Beauties are known for their sponge requirements and a lack of it is certain death. So not all foods are created equal.

If I were you, I would shy away from it until you have a system large enough and an equipment arsenal large enough to support such a delicate creature.

thanks,

Rick
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I will hold off. If there is any doubt that I will be able to provide for it, I will pass for now and wait until I get the larger reef tank a couple years down the road. I'm planning on getting all my fish from one supplier and I'm planning on having a few options open to me in case they can't get one of my top choices from their suppliers.
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but I would try to keep the plan as open as possible so if you do change your mind at some point you don't have to rip and tear at a tank that is established, just so you can get one little fish out(damsels really suck for that fact).

thanks,

Rick
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)22:49    Post subject: Re: A Mandarin Question Reply with quote

Barby Girl wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of changing my stocking plan to include a mandarin... I realize they need a very mature tank and I'm many months away from that, but I had a few questions. Would my current 46 g. tank with it's 37 lbs of LR be enough to support one? I already have lots and lots of pods running around on my rock, their population is definitly growing as I never saw them at all with the lights on and now I see several running around during the day and tons of them at night. But would that be enough? Also, if I was able to find one in a pet shop that was eating other foods already and then introduced it to my tank (after waiting the many months for it to mature!) would it continue eating whatever it was eating in the petshop or would it revert to just eating pods or would it eat both or does it depend on the individual? Thanks in advance for any insights you guys can give Smile

Rick is giving you good advice, I'm glad you decided to avoid this species until you can provide the proper long term environment, here is another opinion:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mandarins.htm
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.13(Sun)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. It's really funny how conflicting all the info out there is. I have an aquarium book (covers FW and SW species, small inaccurate part about care info, pretty pictures) it states minimum tank size for Mandarin is 30g, no mention of LR but does state they eat small crustaceans. Then everywhere on the net says much bigger. Same aquarium book says black cap gramma (who I was originally very interested in) is a peaceful addition to any reef tank, and then SW for Dummies says they are territorial and aggressive, which was confirmed by my supplier so I struck that one off my list. I've seen it said that Bangaii cardinals do best alone, best in pairs, and are a schooling fish so you need a group or they'll be scared, I'm taking middle ground there and most likely will get a pair. That's why I ask so many questions, no where has the same answer. As far as the mandarin goes, I'm definitly not interested for this tank, will re-think it when I upgrade tanks, but that is a moot point for at least another year.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: