Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yay, more critters for tank (inc. my first coral)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)14:38    Post subject: Yay, more critters for tank (inc. my first coral) Reply with quote

Went to one of my LFS's today to stock up on more critters. Originally, I was just planning to get a couple shrimp, but I ended up with 2 cleaners and 1 fire shrimp, plus a royal gramma basslet and some kind of leather coral.

No pics yet as they are still acclimatizing. The cleaner shrimp are neat, though. I was easily amused when I put my finger in the bucket and they start "cleaning" it. My cat tried the same thing, but I think he'd prefer just to eat them.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
Can't wait to see pics! Hubby and I love fire shrimp, we plan to get a pair. Aren't cats amusing with fish? My 55 g FW tank sits on top of a dresser and my cat sits in front of it and "communicates" with my tiger barbs. The barbs are always at the front of the glass when there is movement outside the tank and the cat sticks her paw out at them, I have a pic of it I use as the screen saver on my cell. She seems to ignore the reef, not enough movement in there for her yet. My cat LOVES algae wafers, at fish feeding time, its two for the tank, one for the cat, lol.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures!

First the toadstool leather coral:

Closeup of the polyps:

One of the cleaner shrimp:

The elusive fire shrimp (he's found himself a cave to hide in and spends most of his time there):

And finally, the royal gramma basslet. I was concerned about the basslet at first, since he freaked out while in the bucket acclimatizing, then disappeared in the rocks for a good 12 hours. But today he was out and swimming around. Very Happy

sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice livestock!!! I love the fire shrimp but they spend a lot of time hiding, don't expect to see much of him. I added a Royal Gramma to the 29 and he was also shy at first.

Be sure and run a lo of carbon and change it frequently as that beautiful toadstool can be quite noxious to the other tank inhabitants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Gramma was my first saltwater fish. They're beautiful creatures. They seem to be more active when there aren't other active fish around. Mine was always out when I had my clowns in the tank (they were second to go in) but then when I added my Yellow Tang, he would hide most of the time.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME pics! I love the pic of the cleaner shrimp, that one is a classic. The pic of your gramma came out amazing too. *hint hint* I think you're over due for sharing some full tank pics Wink [/I]
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I'm gald its all working out.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barby Girl wrote:
*hint hint* I think you're over due for sharing some full tank pics Wink

Ask and ye shall receive! Wink

There's not much to look at yet, though. Only real difference is the general lack of algae compared to a month ago (see last month's pic for comparison). I've got a little bit of coralline starting to spread on the rocks, but it's been slow going. And I recently discovered my calcium and magnesium levels are quite low (250 and 700 ppm respectively), so I've begun a regular supplementation routine to get them higher.

Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
Be sure and run a lo of carbon and change it frequently as that beautiful toadstool can be quite noxious to the other tank inhabitants.

I've been reading (and hearing) conflicted info about carbon. For example, a guy at the LFS where I bought this coral (and I should note they specialize in marine tanks only) said they only run carbon for about a week at a time, a few times a year. Otherwise, he told me that you can strip out necessary trace elements. Likewise, I've read similar things over at Reef Central.

For a single leather coral in a 56 gallon, will the toxins it releases really be that much of a problem? And do corals like this release them continually or only at certain times (I.e. stress from moving)?
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.10(Thu)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore your rock scaping. Very artistic. I was going for more of a shape originally, but then after getting the rock in there I went with more of the wall look, but showing off some of the more interesting shaped rocks.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: