Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
15 gallon SW tank, stocking help
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)18:14    Post subject: 15 gallon SW tank, stocking help Reply with quote

So, I originally decided on a 30 gallon sw tank, but after a lot of research thought it was too much money for me. So I've seen a 15 gallon tank at the lfs recently and thought that would be perfect for now. I'm selling the 30 along with old supplies and ornaments to help pay for a lot of this tank. But what I had been dying to get most for my 30 gallon tank was an Ocellaris Clown and a Purple Firefish.

After reconsidering due to my tank change I've thought maybe I should get 2 tank raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 being regular colors and the other black and white. I thought the firefish would get a little territorial in such a small tank so decided against him.

So how does that stocking sound? I think I'll just buy some various hermits and a Cleaner Shrimp for the invertebrates. And obviously some snails.

I'll buy a protein skimmer. I think I'm keeping my Penguin 350 power filter too. Stirs things up a bit. I'll be getting about 3 watts per gallon on lighting. So I'll try to get some mushrooms and Zoas.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.04(Fri)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two clowns would be pretty good for a 15 about max you out if you want to keep corals.

Did you plan on using live rock?
If you do want zoo's down the road. I'd pull the Penguin 350 media out use it as a mini-fuge and put some live rock in if you didn't already.

Then just run the livesand bed/liverock filtration method. The penguin will generate too many nitrates for corals.

What lighting are you getting or have?
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.04(Fri)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a smaller tank I can afford to get pretty high wattage lights. I'm not sure what brands yet. I like T-5's, but I'm gonna go for more watts. Prrobably around 60-80 watts hopefully. Probably around 60 though.

I'm actually not using live sand. I'm just going to buy some white marine sand. Probably 25 pounds. I'll also be using live rock. I'm going to try and get close to 20 pounds if I can. I'd like it to feel open, but still have a ton of nooks and little holes and hideouts. 20 pounds will be a bit cramped, but I'm not sure yet.

I've thought about taking out the 2 filter cartridges and filling the space with some live rock. But my only question on that is if it's okay to leave in the Bio-wheels? I've heard a couple different stories on what to do with the whole filter itself. I'd buy an Aquaclear 70, but I bought this filter brand new for under $30. Good deal. So I'd like to use it up to it's abilities. But whatever works best works best.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.05(Sat)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more lighting for cheaper, go the DIY route. Metal halide shopfitters tend to be the main choice here in Australia, not sure about the situation in US. I like the DIY route, mainly because I'm unfussy about how it looks (to a certain extent) as long as it works well.

You don't need to get live sand at the start, just add a cupfull of live sand somewhere along the track from one (or better, a few) established tanks with live sand to 'seed' the sandbed.

Personally I'd remove the biowheel as it's not needed, but I can't say for certain whether it's the best thing to do. The sandbed and live rock should provide all the biological filtration you need.
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around for lighting for this tank and what seemed like the best idea was a Jebo 130 watt high compact fluorescents with fans, legs, 2 lights, one actinic and one for moonlights. If I were to put that on my 15 gallon (which I still haven't purchased yet) it would give me around eight and 2/3 watts of light per gallon. Is that too much light? Will that harm the 2 Ocellaris Clowns I plan to get? Will it hurt the corals? I know that when you add corals you kind of hide them down low and shaded and after a few weeks put them to an ideal spot in the tank. This light looks real nice and I'm just curious if it would be okay for the corals. Would it better suit a 20 gallon tank? That would be about 6.5 watts per gallon. Same tank lengths for the 15 and the 20.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15 is a taller tank the 130 watts would be fine.

you said:
"Jebo 130 watt high compact fluorescents with fans, legs, 2 lights, one actinic and one for moonlights"

Think its got 3 lights? Two 65 watt bulbs a 12k and 1 actinic or you can go two 50/50's. then there is a moonlight? right?
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's about right. They're on eBay. There's actually 2 130 watts lights by Jebo that are 24" long. The other one is cheaper because it doesn't have the fans, legs, or moonlight. The one I'm looking at has a $20 shipping fee and the bids normally end around $40. So The total price isn't too bad. I guess I will plan on watching eBay to find the light that seems to have the cheapest bid. There are about 10 different auctions for the same light on at a time. Well, I guess that sounds good then. Once I sell my 30 gallon I can finally buy the tank and get going on this fun setup.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should keep the 30 gal my friend.
Just how much you are saving by going with a 15 gal I am not sure, but the added stability of the larger volume of water will be well worth the cost.
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be my first SW tank, but I have a ton of experience in fishkeeping and I've done a lot of research on this. If I were to do the 30 gallon It wouldn't be as perfect as I have this all in my head. I have a specific thought of what I want to do and I want this to be a real nice set up. If I were to do the 30 gallon tank I'd have to pay a lot more for the light, use more substrate, use more live rock and for being 15 years old with a part time job getting on average around $50-60 every 2 weeks it's not worth it. I'm trying to save up for a car because I'm going to be getting my license in about a month when I turn 16.

I agree that I should stick to the 30 gallon tank, but it's just too much for me. And the place I have the tank isn't the safest. It's held just fine for about 3 months, but it scares me an aweful lot. So, I am going to stick to the 15 gallon and I know it's more of a job to deal with.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: