Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What Type of HOT/HOB Protein Skimmer To Use For A 29 Gallon
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pherfect
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)18:05    Post subject: What Type of HOT/HOB Protein Skimmer To Use For A 29 Gallon Reply with quote

Hello everyone, after 3 yrs in the freshwater fish hobby and some serious thought, I've decided to take the plunge into salt water. I have a 29 and 180 gallon tank. The owner at the LFS encouraged me to start small with the 29 gal. before I go to my 180 gal.He recommend the bak pak 2 skimmer/pump HOT. The reviews I've seen average 4/5 stars. Does anyone out there recommend it? And if not,could I please get some suggestions on other brands.
Thanks,Chris
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two skimmers I usually see recommended are the AquaC Remora Pro and the Coralife Super Skimmer.

I have the Coralife Super Skimmer 125. It's not bad, although the stock outflow/difussion box sucks and benefits from being modded.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.02(Wed)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree but would like to add the Superskimmer works better in a sump arrangement as the cup is known to overflow. The Remora is bulletproof and works very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)0:29    Post subject: Skimmers are like cars, everyone likes a caddy Reply with quote

Remora is good and so is the BAK PAK, I have had no experience with coralife products too much and none with their new skimmers. I would recommend trying a bigger tank if you are starting into salt, more water takes longer to polute. Betters your chances and easier for you too. Stay away from most skimmers that hang on the back as they are all lower end models. I wouldnt use s Prisim or a seaclone at all, its like wasting time at an elevator that has no power or waiting for the stairs to automatically get you to where they are going. If you can go with an in sump or external model as they are known to be the best, most durable, and reliable. Precison Marine makes some good ones. I know that there is a guy on another website(reefcentral) his handle is GEO and he makes tip top skimmers and are reliable for years. I have heard from many people that have bought his skimmers that they can outskim any brand or MFG standard or stock skimmer. Thats one reason I have one on order! Very Happy

thanks,

Rick
bukitimah
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Weipro WH-4000 pump & SA-2012 hang-on protein
skimmer good?
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are new in my part of the world and haven't seen them in action. I can tell you that what I looked up on them and their design didn't look horrible but it didn't look to be top notch either. If you check out their site, the customers do nothing but complain from the feedbacks that I read off of their site, so maybe you should consider someone with well known customer support that will be willing to help you in a time of need!

thanks,

Rick
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prizm sucks but I do have to say that the Seaclone if you know how to use it is pretty good. The key with that thing is tuning it right.

Turn that knob all the way out till its out. Let it run for a minute. Then start to put it back in till you get resistance. Do some small turns let it sit for a minute do a another let it sit in 20 minutes its tuned. Mine skims off some nice sludge and has been hassle free.

Don't have the link but somebody on wetwebmedia has a better description of it. So if you do own a seaclone don't throw it out like I almost did. Just throw out there instructions and find the link on wetwebmedia. Also its prone to bubble so cut a chunk of sponge and stick it across the return solves that problem quick.

LOL so if your buying a new one I probably wouldn't go with a seaclone after reading all that, But if you do have one ...it does work just needs to be tuned right and if you want to save a few $$$ the Seaclone works fine. And I've got some nice skimmed sludge to prove it. =)
pherfect
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning toward the AquaC along with the pre-filter box Smile When adjusting any skimmer, what are you adjusting? I know a bigger starter tank would be better, but this is all I have for now. I plan to eventully upgrade to my 180 gallon if all works out.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.04(Fri)1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up the Deltec MCE600, thats meant to be top quality too and I've read heaps of favourable reviews on it.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: