Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Live sand/rock
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, expect to pay anywhere from $85-$130 for a redline cleaner...Sad

NSW = natural sea water, not sure what catalina is?
ChAoZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot for that post Smile helped a lot, great to hear from another Australian. I have signed up for the RTAW forums and have been waiting patiently for a few days now for my account to be activated as it has to be viewed by the moderator or something. Being totally honest I have no idea how much the shrimp would cost but I do have some money set aside for my tank(been saving for quite a few years).

In regards to Hobson's Bay I've actually forgotten if I have the right bay lol, but I'm pretty sure its the big bay that is protected from the ocean weather that is below melbourne but actually spans a lot further. Where I live(Werribee) I should think is a fair way out from the city and I can even take the boat over to St. Leonards from the boat ramp in Werribee. Having said the above I do like the idea of getting the sand from bunnings and seeding it myself as it sounds much safer. My Dad works with a fellow who keeps a few marine tanks so hopefully I will be able to get a cup full from him Smile, if not as you said I'm sure the RTAW forums will be a great help in this regard.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Dj... to continue the discussion in friendly terms.

The problem I am trying to address is the speaking in absolutes. Let's explore:

Will MH lighting benefit either my chili or sun corals?
(Psst, the answer is no)
In fact it may be harmful as it will encourage nuisance algae growth. Non photosynthetic corals like these prefer dark recesses or overhangs)
So we see that, right off the bat, we must speak in specific terms when offering advice. When developing a lighting strategy for example, we should consider what type of corals we are planning to keep. GSP's, mushrooms, Zoo's, soft polyps, Xenia, Anthelia, certain gorgonians, sponges etc... do not need intensive lighting. Acroporas, other SPS's and many LSP's do. With this in mind, some people develop low - moderate light reefs; choosing no corals that require intense lighting. Some people develop high light reefs; choosing only corals that thrive in nutrient poor, but light intense, waters. Finally some people choose mixed reefs, aligning the position of their corals as unissuh suggested.

Crushed coral is not bad either - unless there was a mention of it in the Ten Commandments that I am not aware of. Remember C.C. is just fragmented live rock. What you are hinting at is that there is a tendency for detritus to be trapped in the larger particle size that C.C. usually comes in. This is true - but it doesn't make C.C. bad. No part of your system will operate effectively if not matched or maintained correctly. A poorly adjusted skimmer will not remove organics and is as useless as an anchor but I wouldn't say skimmers are "bad". I would describe why a poorly adjusted skimmer is ineffective.
Many reefers these days are going for finer grained coral based sands (just finer C.C.) but this too has its drawbacks. If you vacuum regularly and/or are dealing with diatom blooms you will find that the fine grain sand gets sucked out of the tank with the waste water. In this case, a shallow bed of C.C. may be a better choice because the large grains stay on the bottom. Some people think bare bottom (BB) tanks are better; but these too have their problems (without dosing additives these tanks may lack the natural pH buffering capacity that calcium based substrates provide).
Which is good? Which is bad? I guess it all depends.

To be clear, I am neither for nor against CC, BB's, MH's, DSB's, MAR's, ATS's, etc... (gotta love those acronyms). I am for understanding how these systems/pieces of equipment work and for matching them to the particular circumstances that suit them. That is why offering advice/input from our own personal perspectives is so important.
ie:
In this circumstance I did this with this result.

This is much better than:
"All of these are bad" or "always do this".

OK, I'm done. I think I've flogged this horse enough.

Sorry for waylaying your post Chaoz Rolling Eyes
ChAoZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, np Dave Smile in fact it gave me something good to read, good to see some different opinions on various topics(always trying to learn as I am a newbie). My real name is Keith btw if you would prefer that to chaoz lol..regretting using that name, force of habit on the net.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum keith Very Happy
ChAoZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave Smile good to be here.
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.15(Tue)1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chaoz I would agree more with what dale says Crushed coral is not bad and you don't need to Siphon it what I regularly do every 2 weeks is Lift the small dirt with my hand put some prefilters on the powerheads and they trap dirt I fuigured out that when I used to siphon my crushed coral I was actually siphoning out My orthropods and other bactiria wich help with nitrates no wonder I had em so high Crying or Very sad But I just stoped doing that and now my nitrates barely go above 10ppm And I don't have no nitrites. Its true with research and experimentation you will go a long Way Chaoz.About the MH I don't think that u need mandatory MH I used to think the same way I bought a 150watt MH for my 15Gallon Nano reef but ended up having more problems so I ugraded to VHO. and I'm able to keep most corals that I like. I did the same thing for my 55 Gallon I bought a 400watt MH just because the guy from the store told me so I just took it off and bought a 265 watt Vho Laughing I realize that I don't like the corals that Requiered MH and with 265 watt I could keep a lot of things, Again Visualize your objective and plan ahead of time
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: