Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
One More Question
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)13:40    Post subject: One More Question Reply with quote

Check later post.

Last edited by AquariumChicky on 2006.07.29(Sat)14:21; edited 2 times in total
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, is this a Quarantine system or a reef system?
20 gallons is really too small for a beginner marine tank, especially a reef system.
If you are doing a QT you don't want live rock or inverts.
Please clarify your goals, and forget about the anemone for at least 6 months to a year.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would 7.5WPG be too much light for an anemone, mushrooms, and possibly a few other corals???
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.30(Sun)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpg rule is crap. same as inches of fish per gallon.

for example, 30 watts over a tank 5 inches tall versus 30 watts over a tank 10 inches tall. say both hold the same amount of water. obviously whatever is at the bottom og the 10 in tall tank is going to get a lot less light Smile

and if you plan on having an anemone, you'll need metal halide lighting Smile pc's or flourescent lighting just doesn't seem to work for them Smile
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.30(Sun)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I am settin up a 24" 20gallon reef tank. There is a metal halide fixture I want to use but they only sell a 150watt. I figured the anemone would be fine as they for the most part enjoy light, but I wasn't too sure about the mushrooms.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.30(Sun)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dj,

If the WPG rule is crap how do you calculate how much light to add to the tank? So you measure and your tank is 5" or 10" deep - how do you then calculate the size of bulb to use?
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.30(Sun)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the 5" and 10" example is crap. take a 10" tall tank vs a 24" tall tank. the 24" tank is going to have significantly less lighting at the bottom rather than the 10. the lighting will disperse over the water. one can see this example applied to our oceans as well. the sun is the greatest source of light, yet it doesn't penetrate that far down into the ocean does it? even when it gets to the deeper levels, it's really dim right?

so for your lighting, in aquariumchicky's case, she's going to use a mh bulb, 150w, that's pretty much good for anything. some might opt for 250w or once or twice I've seen a 450w mh pendant over a tall tank (which in my opinion is a little extreme) but nevertheless, she's set for anything in a tank like that. I've never had a tall tank before since the only sw tank I his a 12gal jbj nano cube (which I'm going to tear out the lighting in the hood for an external ballast and 150w mh lighting system instead) and a 1 gal pico (soon a 3 gal pico and a 2.5 gal pico...maybe a 5 gal too) so I'd only tell you to be a little careful about placing things on the substrate but I think you'd be fine in most cases Smile for instance, high light clams such as croceas or maximas might need to be placed on the rockwork rather than the sand

er and I think you mean wattage of the bulb rather than size but if she's going to have a nem, which needs very high lighting, mh is a must. but there is no set rule to go by wpg. also consider, bulbs go dim after a while. for example, just because you have 96watts flourescents over a tank doesn't mean it's going to always be 96 watts. after I believe it was 6-8 months, depending on how you use them, they go dim and have to be replaced I believe. also a thin layer of dust could restrict up to half the light coming out of a normal bulb in a house so I would assume such things could also apply here. isn't this why the fish per gallon rule is useless? a 30 inch long carp wouldn't be happy in a 30 gal tank right? there's way too many variables to consider. so this fad, as you stated in the other thread, of having high lighting is pretty much being employed simply so no coral is left out on lighting no matter what level it is in the tank Smile
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually find 70w metal halides, although from looking up endless online retailers and asking at endless LFSs you might as well go with a 150w MH...70w MH just has too few choices in terms of units and bulbs. You'll probably end up paying the same amount for a 150w MH as a 70w MH. Also, you can just raise or lower the 150w unit to increase/decrease intensity (see inverse square law of radiation) although your electricity bill will be higher.

I like the 'rule of thumb' for MH lighting that says you have one MH per every 2' or 60cm with the intensity dependent on the depth of the tank.

ATJ on RTAW wrote:
Have one metal halide lamp for every 60cm of tank length.
For a tank that is 45cm high, you can use 150W metal halide.
For a tank that is 60cm high, go for 250W metal halide.
For a tank that is 75cm high, go for 400W metal halide.

The above guidelines will mean that you will have sufficient light on the bottom of the tank directly under the lamps to grow most corals/clams. You will still have areas in the tank with lower light for placing corals that may not do well with high lighting. Note that the amount of light near the top of the tank will be significantly higher with the 400W lamps compared to the 150W lamps so you may need to be careful with what you place there.

Note that the above is simply a guideline and you could still do well with less light, but may have much slower growth rates for some corals.

MH lamps are nice in that since they are a point light source, the actual level of light radiation recieved will vary quite a bit over the tank. You can place high light requiring corals right under the lamps while your low light requiring corals can sit off the side so that they are not under such an intense light.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I had looked into 70W fixtures, but I want an anemone. So. I decided to go with the higher lighting.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

illuminating post unissuh Very Happy
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: