Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
HOB Skimmers
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kody
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.26(Wed)21:44    Post subject: HOB Skimmers Reply with quote

I am setting up a 33G FOWLR Tank and am Looking at using a HOB type Skimmer is this going to work for me seems like a very good idea for my situation..
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.27(Thu)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kody.

Some skimmers are better than others and some are just crappy. If you see one that interests you, google it to see some reviews by other SW keepers (don't believe the product PR)
I tried using my coralife superskimmer (which I like) in the HOB mode on my 33G. but was dissatisfied for two reasons:

a.) The collection cup can overflow if not adjusted correctly and the skimmer will then deposit most of your tanks contents onto the floor.
b.) The pump hangs in the tank and was quite big and bulky.

Now I run it in sump.

If you do go with a HOB skimmer buy one that works effectively and that will spill its contents into the tank if it overflows.

If you choose to drill your tank and set up a sump you can get away with one hole for drainage (have the return line loop over the top like a cannister filter return line). If fact, your return pump could be a cannister filter. Hang it off the sump; letting it take in water from the sump and returning it to the display Cool

They can drill your tank and sell you the bulkheads at hidden reef BTW.

Good luck!
Kody
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.27(Thu)22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Thanks for all the Info again Dale I was at Hidden Reef for about 2 hrs today looking and learning the best I could. Another option that was brought up to me was possibly Using an Overflow system to a Sump without Drilling the Tank. The Girl at Hidden Reef was really really Helpfull and gave me lots of Options so I am now reserching some of them anyways thanks again for the help..
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: