Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new to the salt water game
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.27(Thu)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all my research, the cheapest way to get enough lighting for a reef setup is to buy metal halide shopfitter kits (bulb/reflector/control gear) from hydroponics stores/electrical wholesalers or sites like www.reduced.com.au and www.corallights.com.au. You can probably rig up some fairly powerful metal halide lighting (I think you're looking for 3x150w metal halides) for around about the same price as that lighting unit (maybe less, 150w kits go for just over $200 on sites and I have heard of people finding kits for under $100). You'd have to do some DIY construction and build the hood to mount the lights in though. Add a couple of T5s or T8s or even CFs for sunrise and sunset and you've got a neat lighting setup.

Not too sure on the T5s, but for a decent quality unit from an aquarium they sound about average. You can probably DIY some up for significantly cheaper though.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5s actually look pretty good, I know Oliver the owner of Staunched Aqua(a new lfs just south of the CBD) runs his lps and soft coral tanks with 2 5watters if I remember correctly and they are pretty damn bright. Also a guy in NSW has a 2ft setup with 4 x 24watt t5s and is growing sps in it.

along with joining rtaw I would go to a masov meeting see how you like it and join if you would like to. next meetings on the 13th of august in rosebud. freakishly long drive but the host's tank is a 18ft long L shaped tank!

andrew
ChAoZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, its a shame I'm a student with not much money so the petrol would probably kill me going to rosebud lol. I forgot to mention that the light I was looking at was an aquamedic...I think they are pretty high quality but of coarse if I can set a light up from a DIY sort of kit for a quarter of the price I would like to explore this a little more.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: