Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Advice on Sumps and Protien Skimmers
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kody
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)0:20    Post subject: Advice on Sumps and Protien Skimmers Reply with quote

HI I am very new to the Hobby of Saltwater and I am trying to Reserch everything the best I can from Reading Books and looking at websites to talking to the LFS but I am getting confused with a few things.. Mainly the Sump setup Right now I am going to try and learn more about the Hobby with a 33G (restriced size) I have the Tank that I used to use for my FW but now to switch it over the SW I am trying to figure out the best way to do the Sump.. SO my question I understand sumps and protien skimmers are best but how do I drill my tank and how do you go about figureing out the size???

Any Help would be Awsome on any point of Keeping SW Fish
kody
Kody
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought about another Question... is it alright to have just a P.Skimmer in the main tank or is this not recomend I am starting to worry about Overflow Problems and Power outages with the Sump set up so is it practical to have just a P.Skimmer in the main tank... maybe when I know more and have a bigger main tank I can set up a Sump??
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I would never recomend some one actually buy a prism skimmer, honestly from what I have seen there are better HOB skimmers availiable.

with having an overflow you have really 2 options, you could have an internal overflow or an external. an internal is where a hole is drilled in the back corner or some where in the tank and a box of glass is put around it to a certain height. an external is a small amount of glass is removed from one of the edges of the tank and a box is constructed around it.
external:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~natalie_newman/new_tank/overflow2.jpg
internal:
http://www.4fishtank.com/P2060006.JPG

what do you actually want to keep in this tank? fish, corals, invertabrates, live rock? or is this more of a learning tank, one to gain experience with basic saltwater chemistry and care?

whether or not you want a sump is up to you but I think their a nifty place to hide equitment!

andrew
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)23:07    Post subject: Re: Advice on Sumps and Protien Skimmers Reply with quote

Kody wrote:
HI I am very new to the Hobby of Saltwater and I am trying to Reserch everything the best I can from Reading Books and looking at websites to talking to the LFS but I am getting confused with a few things.. Mainly the Sump setup Right now I am going to try and learn more about the Hobby with a 33G (restriced size) I have the Tank that I used to use for my FW but now to switch it over the SW I am trying to figure out the best way to do the Sump.. SO my question I understand sumps and protien skimmers are best but how do I drill my tank and how do you go about figureing out the size???

Any Help would be Awsome on any point of Keeping SW Fish
kody

Everything you ever wanted to know about sumps:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: