Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Confused about water changes.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
stryoftheyear
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)19:55    Post subject: Confused about water changes. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm confused abut changing the water in saltwater tanks. When I take out 20% of the water should I replace it with freshwater or mix up some new saltwater and add it in. Also can you tell me the proper way to mix up the saltwater so I don't add to much salt. The only thing I know is that when the water evaporates I should just add saltwater since the salt is still in the tank.

Thanks.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stryoftheyear,

When topping up the tank due to evaporation loss, use freshwater only. This maintains the correct salt concentration in the tank. Water evaporates but salt does not.

I mix new saltwater for partial water changes in a 5 gallon bucket. I add 5G.'s of R/O water and then add some salt. I have a small powerhead that I drop in the bucket to stir things up. After all the salt dissolves I check the concentration with a hydrometer. Add salt gradually so that you don't overshoot the desired concentration level (for my tank it is 1.024). Keep track of the amount of salt added so that with repetition you will be able to add the correct level of salt in one or two shots. I usually let my saltwater sit overnight and check it one more time before adding to the tank.
When it comes time for the PWC, I put this bucket beside an empty bucket and syphon the substrate etc... into the empty bucket. That way I syphon out exactly the same volume of water that I will be adding.
If you are doing small volume PWC's you can get away with using room temperature top up water but if you are doing large volume changes you may want to add a heater to your top up water and let it sit so that it will be the same temp as the tank you are adding it to.

Hope that helps.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: