Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help! RO/DI filter
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.21(Fri)21:22    Post subject: Help! RO/DI filter Reply with quote

OK, so my brand new RO/DI filter came today and it's making me feel like a moron (like that's hard). There are two pieces that look like they could be the ones that attach to the faucet, but neither fit, so, I'm assuming I can go buy an adapter at Home Depot or Lowe's.... But which one is suppose to go to the sink? There is the water feed valve thingy with the on off switch that the tube connects to and there is a silver thing thats straight that that valve piece screws into, but I can't figure out if you use the straight piece for faucet installation or if that's for the other installation methods. The instructions and pictures are very unclear. If anyone knows of a website called RO/DI installation for dummies, please let me know!
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.21(Fri)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you take a photo of the installation stupplies that came with the filter. My ro filter came with some plumbing that I had to hook up to the washing machine's cold water tap.

if you have a washing machine turn off the cold water to it unhook the pipe/tubing from the washing machine to the tap and see if it wil be able to screw on to it. if it can just add that attachment (do it up nice and tight) then hook up the washing machine's piping to the attachment. make sure everything is nice and tight and test it. turn the cold water tap back on and when you open or close the valve that comes out of the attachment and has a small little exit water should come out of it.

imo have some towels at hand to clean up any spills ect.

andrew
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.21(Fri)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, reading what you wrote gave me more perspective. I looked through the instructions again after reading your post and I'm pretty sure the straight piece I was talking about is the piece you use for the laundry/hose installation method. Unfortunatly, my apartment has a community laundry room, so I can't do it that way. I'm hoping I can find something at a hardware store that will attach to my faucet to make it fit. I was also looking at the under the sink installation, but my hands weren't strong enough to shut off the cold water valve. I think I have enough tubing that I can rig it up like that and not drill holes if I can get it connected under there as a plan "B" I'm gonna have my hubby try and shut off the valve tonight and I'll mess with it, might be more convenient that way. I'm starting to think I'm crazy for undertaking this reef project, but I know once I have my tank filled with water, I'll think differently and I'm already too invested to give up.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.21(Fri)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah k. I am sure a plumbing store would be able to help. I actually have my ro filter attacked to a bit of melmine. means I can just unhook it from the cold water tap bit and store it in a closet untill I need to use it again. I use a large cooler as my reservoir so I usulaly fill that up a bit and that lasts.

are you going to be using ASW or NSW?(ASW=artificial saltwater, NSW=natural saltwater) if your using NSW, which is generally cheaper dending on where you live you will be useing a lot less ro water as you'll only be using it for top off. I plan on getting 3-4 25L containers so I can just drive to the petshop and get all four of them filled up for $2 each or I could scab off one of the reefers I know and fill up from one of their main reservoirs. a lot of people who have large tanks get 1000Litre containers and go to the ocean and fill em up every now and then, definatly a cheap way of doing a water chang when the tank volume may be over 1000litres!

andrew
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using AWS, I'm too far inland for a good source of NSW, the LFS sells it, but it's really expensive, and I don't trust reliability since it has to be shipped in.
I managed to get the faucet adapters for my RO/DI, but I swear it's gonna be the death of me yet. I can't get the tube that attaches to the feed water valve to stay on, I'm hoping my husband can do it for me and I'm just a wimp Smile And, I can't find my teflon tape and I need it because where the adapters are attached the water is spitting out, lol I have water all over my bathroom from trying it. I have hope though as everything else is working. Hopefully by this time next week my tank will be cycling. I still have to pick up a carbon filter and then everything equipment wise will be purchased.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
can't get the tube that attaches to the feed water valve to stay on

thats the little tube that goes to the filter right? on mine its blue. if I remember correctly mine had a bolt you slide onto the tube then you attach the tube to the thing then screw in the bolt to make it nice and tight.

serously barby pics would REALLY help!

andrew
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.23(Sun)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get new batteries for my digital camara before I can do any pics. But it's all OK, hubby to the rescue, I was just not strong enough to push that tube on, I guess since that connection handles the most pressure it fits a lot tighter then the other tubes. I tefloned my faucet adapters and now there is just a small drizzle leak but it's alright because the RO/DI is WORKING! YAY! I've got about 10G of salt water into my tank so far. Until it gets about half full, I'm just kind of estimating the amount of salt per bucket and then I'll start measuring SG. I know since there is nothing in my tank but sand, I could just add the salt at the end, but I wanted to get used to mixing it in the bucket so I'll have the hang of it for when it counts. I have my lights on top of the tank now too, they're amazing. If mine are only 192W and are as bright as they are I can't IMAGINE how bright it is for you guys with the huge reef tanks. Smile
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.24(Mon)5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear things are working out, imo buy a cheap power head to mix the water for you Razz

really its a guesstimate thing, with a power head in the bucket you can easily just add some salt and come back and check the specific gravity then add some more salt or freshwater then come back later and see if its good.

andrew
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my last RO/DI filter question, I promise Smile
When its time to change the different filters, how will I know? The housings are clear, I'm assuming, I change them when they look "dirty" but would that mean its too late? The directions say every 6-12 months for the filters and every 2-3 years for the membranes but that's a big time difference, and it doesn't say any other indication.
Thanks!
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure a TDS meter is really how you do it I think. contacting the maker of the filter unit would probably be the best idea,

andrew
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: