Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
responses to the individual, not the post
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrandaLover0905, I don't think you should do salt water. Most hobbyist wait until they have successfully kept freshwater before considering salt water. I have been in the hobby for 2 years, and I don't even think I'm ready yet.

You SHOULD use the 55 gallon for your 4 goldfish and weather loach? Arent they in a 20 gallon or something? A 55 gallon should be able to support 4 adult goldfish but with a lot of filtration and water changes. A 20 gallon can only handle 1 adult goldfish, maybe 2...
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrlandaLover0905: I have been watching your posts over the past few weeks, and IMO, you are NOT ready for a SW tank. This is a MUCH more expensive hobby than FW. Just to name a bit of equipment and cost:

Good protien skimmer: $150+
sump filter and parts: $200+
then you will also need sand, LR, hydrometer or refractometer, the list goes on and on.

I am sorry OrlandaLover0905. But if people look at your posts, I believe most of us will agree you are NOT ready for SW. I am currently setting up my first SW. I have been doing 8 MONTHS, not weeks, of research. I have bought about $300 worth of books. And I also have over 10 years experience with FW tanks. The fish you have Orlanda, are considered BEGINNERS fish.

What you should do:
1. Move Goldfish and Weather Loach to 55.
2. Start taking very good care of the 55 and fish.
3. Once fish are healthy and tank had been established and healthly running for about 1 YEAR, try some INTERMMEDIATE species of fish.
4. Keep working your way up, until you can keep some of the more difficult species. Once you have a few years of experience with more difficult species, THEN begin your research for SW.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

originally posted in this thread: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=35784

TJ, Aquarium chicky, your input is correct, but the responses are essentially messages to Orandalover personally.
The purpose of a discussion forum is for discussion of subjects.
The Private message feature is better for the types of messages you have posted here.

You coud briefly allude to your feelings that Orandalover isn't ready... but your responses should keep in mind all readers who may have a 55g that they wish to make into a salt water setup...
thanks for the consideration.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: