Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Progress update/hydrometer question
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.17(Mon)14:31    Post subject: Progress update/hydrometer question Reply with quote

I picked up my tank yesterday! Along with the topper, a protein skimmer, a heater, and I got my light set, but one of the ballists is bad, so I need to exchange it. I have the RO/DI filter on the way (THANKS Sirreal!!) I have my Fiji Pink sand in the tank, the skimmer is assembled and in place (not turned on because there is no water in the tank). I have the two small power heads assembled, still need to buy the third better one and I still need to buy a carbon filter.
My question is, I bought a hydrometer yesterday, its one where you pour the water into it and it measures that way. I read about the kind that actually go in your tank. The guy at the aquarium store said they don't sell those and they stink. Is that true or was he just telling me that because they don't sell them there? I thought an in tank one would be really convenient and then using the other one for when mixing pwc water. Opinions/recommendations?
Thanks!
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.17(Mon)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're not the best. in reality the best you could get would be a refractormeter but they can cost $60+. I've used one before (in horticulture actually messuring the sugar content of grapes) and they're pretty easy to get just put some of the water on this slide bit then this flap flips down over it then look through it like a telescope and you get a very acurate reading.

andrew
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.17(Mon)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SLACKra. But they don't always have to be $60+.

I got a professional quality refractometer off of eBay for $34 AFTER shipping.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thought I would add that I actually use one of them swinging arm ones. have used it since the beggining of keeping saltwater aquariums. its acurate enough for me and its lasted ages.

andrew
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, no need to spend a fortune on this, here's the type I have used for many years (virtually indestructible):
http://wetpetsusa.stores.yahoo.net/aqsyshyd.html
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=569
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FloridaBoy, those are just like the one I bought. I was thinking if the combo thermo/hydro meters that go in tank were worth anything I'd get one of those for convenience, but no one seems to recommend it, so I'll pass.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the swing arm ones, too. In using it over the last 4.5 months my tank has been setup, I haven't noticed the salinity change much at all. So I don't measure it very much any more, unless I am going to do a water change or something else major to the tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: