Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
greenish brownish ugly pond water
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)11:28    Post subject: greenish brownish ugly pond water Reply with quote

My pond was doing very well, an entire school of rosys, and shubukins with almost grown tadpoles, when I went to camp. It was very beautiful, and typicaly a nice pond. When I came back, a week later, the pond looks terrible. The water was horribly ugly! I imediatly began bucketing out water, and then adding clean water. Then I disconnected and disasembled the filter to find it COMPLETLY clogged with diatoms. I was puzzled, because nothing was dead, that I noticed, and I couldnt think of anything to spike nitrates so much. I made sure the newts, and all the fish were alive, and they were. I have no idea what could have caused this, the pond is 676 gallons, and it has a filter for 700 gallons, which works quite well. Someone help me to get rid of this, all I can think of is water changes, but I don't have that much water conditioner.
P:S: Yes the pond is cycled
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the thread in here since we can get better inputs from our pond gurus Very Happy .
I am doing lots of research lately about ponds http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=35518 .
One reason that could cause problems is;
all new setups will experience Brown algae and the best is to let it be. But what you could do and should do is to put lots of little stones with gravel to the pond bottom. That will increase the bacteria colony that will uptake ammonia/nitrite faster. NitrAtes can be up taken by live plants so having floating plants like Water cabbage or Lily's, as well as some underwater plants like Egeria densa and Hornworth will help.

Just ideas.

Regards, Dusko.
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2006.07.19(Wed)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm.....this is really stupid but....the water is now crystal clear, and nitrates are 30ppm now. Confused . What the heck. However thanks for your suggestions dusko, they might prevent this in the future. I think it was caused by all the sunlight, areas are shaded now with floating plants, and the water is crystal clear. Confused
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Barchef; sunlight is the most often the cause of algae blooms.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: