Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new 75 gallon salt convert from fresh water
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kford54
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)10:49    Post subject: new 75 gallon salt convert from fresh water Reply with quote

I have a 75 gallon that I am changing to salt water. I have added crushed coral but did not rinse. The water wa s very cloudy but is better after overnight. If the coral is touch the dust raises. Will this pass or should I remove amd rinse? How long should I wait to add liver rock and do I need it?
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't NEED LR but it is BEST to have it. LR acts as a natural filter. What other equipment do you have??? For a SW you will also be needing a hydrometer or refractometer, test kits, protien skimmer, and a fitler. You should also add the LR when the tank is first being set up. The LR kickstarts the cycle.

Once you've got your equipment and your tank cycles, PLEASE do your research before buying ANY fish.
kford54
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 400 hang on filters, the local fish store said I did not need skimmer. I have test kits and hydrometer. The last thing I want is any dead fish so I plan to take my time and know what I am getting before I buy. I have been keeping fresh water two about two years and only lost one fish and I really think it was because of another fish.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a skimmer, but you'll have to keep on top of water changes without one.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to chime in LIVE ROCK IS NOT ALWAYS BEST. its just a type of bacterial filter media. you could easily just have a filter filled with bioballs and it would do the same thing!

(if you use live rock)in a tank of that size to save a bit of cash I would get some base rock such at tufu and build a small rock structure then ontop of that put some premium grade uncured live rock. the live rock will seed the rest of the rock and organisms will move onto it. there will also be some itneresint hitchikers as it will be uncured. there will be some dieoff from it which will start up the cycling process which usually takes 6-8 weeks.

skimmers help a lot I would really advise getting one!

andrew
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: