Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Power heads
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)18:36    Post subject: Power heads Reply with quote

While shopping today, I picked up 30lbs pink figi argonite and two power heads. The power heads I got have the cool rotating heads, which is the reason I picked them, but they are only rated up to 30g. Will having two, along with the protein skimmer and a power filter for carbon be good enough or should I pick up a third, more powerful power head? I can't thank you guys enough for answering all my questions, reading articles and books never address the specific questions I come up with.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you anything but... I have a question.

Are you planning on using live rock? If so what kind? You just got the same kind of sand I plan on using!!! Laughing I guess we really DO have a lot in common.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitly gonna get live rock. I'm gonna get mainly cured Alor, and maybe a piece of generic "Cultured live rock" from the chain pet shop, they had one that was a really awesome shape and if that one piece is still there I'll get that too.
Did you mention that was the sand you were getting before on here? When I saw it in the store, the name sounded familiar, I knew from research I wanted something that said argonite and fiji pink rang some memory bells which is why I bought it. I felt like super woman carrying the 30lbs up to my apartment, lol.
schaadrak
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) What size is your tank?

B) The powerheads w/rotating heads are great, just make sure that you clean them out every three or four months or they get noisy.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, sorry, forgot the tank size... It's 46G bow front for an aspiring reef.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zoo Med powerheads are decent but the failure rate on the rotating portion is high. Most peolle use them for a year and ditch them from the aggravation of having to keep them clean.

The best bang for the buck powerhead is a Seio. A couple of 820's will be more than enough water movement. The flow from a Seio is different than a MaxiJet or Zoo Med, whose flow comes out of a tiny opening which has a strong pinpoint flow, a Seio is like a Tunze nad has a wide outlet which is more gentle and moves a large area of water, this is better for corals and mimicks the ocean waves better than a pinpoint flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get one Seio 820 and keep the two zoo meds and provide sufficent water flow?
Thanks!
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you could, position the Seio at one end, one Zoo Med at the other end and the other Zoo Med in the middle of the back wall and the flow will be good and random.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was. Lol. Laughing I'm gona end up using Fiji LR with my setup... about 60+ lbs of it too. Won't that be fun to haul around.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sirreal, that's what I'll do... Hopefully the aquarium super store has the Seio, then I can get that with my protein skimmer. Then after settling the RO/DI thing all I will need is my carbon filter, and last but not least SALT (and I got a coupon buy one get one free for that!).

AquariumChicky.... Imagining you carrying all that LR reminded me of when I got my 20g tank. I bought everything for it together, piled it all in the tank (including the bags of gravel) and decided it was easier to be superwoman and carry it all together then to make two trips. I made it to the elevator in my apartment building, started loosing feeling in my arms, so I thought I'd sit on my heels and hold the weight on my legs while I waited to get to my floor and I couldn't stand back up! Luckily there was someone else in the elevator who took some of the weight so I could stand! After that I decided no more aquarium shopping without dragging hubby along.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: