Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon salt water ?'s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.15(Sat)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_of_the_catfish wrote:
would any of these fish work? these are some of the smaller fish that looked very interesting to me. I'd really like to put an angel in, even if he was the only fish, but I can't seem to find one that would be able to live decently in a 10 gal

Ocellaris Clown
Lawnmower Blenny
Mandarin Dragonet
Clown Goby
Firefish
Tomato Clown

I'm still not sure if I am going to put fish in it at all I might just put invertebrates in it. Any of these?
Fire shrimp
Skunk shrimp

My best advice is use the 10 gal for a QT and start with a 29 gal display. If you must have a display that small, then go with one small tank raised Clownfish and one small Blenny or Goby... the Angelfish and Mandarin are bad ideas, please don't... add one shrimp and you will be full. You'll need a heater, a cover and a few more odds and ends your LFS will assist there... and you will still need the QT (IMHO).
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a heater and I think my lights are 2, 15w bulbs, that work? I still don't have a cover, which I am working on. I'd probably like to get a lawnmower blenny, fire shrimp and a Ocellaris clown. is that overstocking? next week I am going to buy some live rock and a hydrometer, and probably a protien skimmer. today I am laying out the crushed coral bottom and mixing the salt and water.

For my power filter, do I need to get different filter cartridges for saltwater?

thanks all very much
schaadrak
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clown goby and/or the lawn mower blenny would be OK. DO NOT GET A DRAGONET. A ten gallon will not support enough pods to keep them well fed and they are extremely difficult to get them to eat anything else.
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.17(Mon)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay okay......I won't get a dragonet. then when it is done cycling I am going to head over the pet store and buy my ocellaris clown and lawnmower blenny. do I have to get the protien skimmer right away or can I wait till cycling is about halfaway over?
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.17(Mon)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend a lawnmower blenny for a 10 gallon. They can get about 5-6", which is pretty big for such a small tank.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and occellaris clowns can reach 8cm long about 3 inches. imo I would get a pair of yellow clown gobies. if you get two they should become a pair. just make sure the two you get are feeding.

I have heard of people having these little critters spawn in the home aquarium and they are rather pretty fish as they are bright yellow. another species that might work well is the red headed goby. they have a clear/grey body then a red head with some floro stripes. they stay quite small but are what I would call adventurous little fellows. I had one in my old 32g.

also once the cycling process has completed depending on how much organic material you added to the tank to fuel the cycle you will probably have quite a bit of nitrate. so you will have to do some water changes to bring that down. preferably under 10ppm before you add a fish under 20ppm should be fine though. also make sure you aclimatize the fish slowly. generally speaking add 1 cup of water every 5-7mins to the bag untill the bag is full them empty some of the water back into your tank then do the same thing 1 cup every 5-7 min till its full again. by then you shoudl be able to introduce the fish to your aquarium. sometimes I empty it out again and fill the bag up again slowly with my tank water if I want to just play it safe.

cheers

Andrew
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting post as it again illustrates the many problems that will occur when trying to set up a small tank.

There's more than one issue here but take the lawnmower blenny for example. Besides the fact that it will grow too large for a 10G., it also can become quite aggressive toward other tank mates. My LMB took to chomping on the tails of any seahorses in its path with no provocation. In a 10G. there will be no hiding places and no chance for species to establish CO2 existing territories. The LMB also grazes on algae and a 10G. will not sustain it. Many LMB's stave to death in small aquariums because they become "too" efficient at cleaning.

The same analysis should be done with each species. What does it eat? What is its natural behavior? How does it react to other livestock? etc...

As well, when stocking try to consider how you will cope with the nutrient cycle (not the same as tank cycling). You have to feed those fish and the resulting nutrients will build up in the tank as either D.O.C.'s or detritus or nuisance algae; even the organisms on the L.R. will excrete waste. Don't imagine that hermits or snails will solve the problem. They will only eat the algae/waste and then excrete it in some other form. With a 10G. you probably won't splurge on a skimmer or set up a functionally efficient macro algae sump/refugium or D.S.B. so you will be chained to frequent P.W.C.'s in hopes that the nutrient levels won't spiral out of control in the tank and cause it to crash.

This is one reason why others often encourage newcomers to the hobby to start with a bigger tank. A bigger tank will allow more fish selection, hold more L.R. for filtration, be worth the investment in a skimmer and, hopefully, have enough water volume to allow some leeway with water chemistry issues.

Lots to think about, hope I didn't rain on your parade.
Good luck with your decisions!
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.23(Sun)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. from what everyone is saying about the lawnmower blenny in a 10 gallon, I am not going to purchase one.

today I purchased my hydrometer, and my tank is now full with water. on saturday I am going to buy some live rock and probably purchase a protien skimmer. I think the clown goby is going to be the fish I will end up putting in it.

so Ocellaris clown not the way to go, or would it be OK. I still am planning on doing the tank so that won't change.

agian thanks all for the help. Very Happy
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.23(Sun)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this water-bridge thing and I was wondering if it would be possible to make my 10 gallon a 20 gallon with 2 tanks? would that solve my problem of the tank being to small and difficult?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.24(Mon)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely a great idea. Sumps are a fantastic way to run salt water tanks.

I wouldn't go with a bridge between two tanks, unless the other tank is going to be behind the 1st or something. What most SW fans do is hide the second tank in the stand underneath and use a fountain pump to pump water up into the 1st tank. Overflows are easy to rig up using some PVC pipe.

Lookup overflows and sumps for tons of pics.
I'm glad to see that you're taking the time to research things fully... you won't regret being careful. Dead corals or fish is just not a fun time!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: