Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon salt water ?'s
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)15:10    Post subject: 10 gallon salt water ?'s Reply with quote

I recieved a new 10 gallon aquarium and I would like to try my very first salt water aquarium. so far all I really know about an aquarium is from what I have read on the site. what is the best way to go for the tank. is it better for such a small tank to do it in just live sand or to put live sand and some live rock. I'm really not sure which way to go. I would like to put some fish or inverts in it. but if not possible I would like to do a "reef" setup. all I have now for filteration is a aqua-tech powerfilter. thanks to all Very Happy
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, it's generally not recommended to attempt a s/w in a tank less than 30 gallon. S/w tanks tend to have more stringent water chemisty requirements than a f/w tank, and in a small tank, there isn't much margin for error. If you really want to attempt a s/w tank, I'd recommend upgrading the tank size as much as you can.

If that's not feasible and you still want to try it in the 10 gallon, then it can be done.

I would start with a basic invert tank with some live rock. There are lots of interesting inverts (shrimps, crabs, etc) that would do well in such a tank.

A lot of corals have high lighting requirements. You haven't listed what you have in the way of lighting, but chances are, you'd need to upgrade for corals.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt fish in a tank that small. It can and has been done, but for a beginner, I wouldn't even try it.
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to try it even if it is more difficult. I don't think my lights are right for a saltwater aquarium so I'd just get some new ones. shrimp would be something very interesting to put in there. this weekend I am probably going to the pet shop to get some of the "equipment." but thats all I would need for filteration?
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

For filtration that should be adequate for now. The live rock will act as the main biological filtration. I'm not sure how much water flow that filter puts out, so you may need to boost water flow with a powerhead or something. Tanks with live rock need more water flow than a typical f/w tank, so that debris does not accumulate inside the rock.

For lighting, I wouldn't worry about it until you decide to try corals.
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help.....I'll probably buy stuff this weekend
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of water are you using? RO/Di or tap? or something else
schaadrak
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're diligent enough, there are plenty of small fish that will do great in your tank. Specifically small gobies and blennies. They have great personalities and some don' get more than a couple inches long.
You do have to be right on top of your water conditions, though. Proper feeding is paramount, followed by good filtration (mechanical and biological) and regular water changes. And understock your tank, get one maybe two fish.
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.15(Sat)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

today I bought Oceanic salt water mix and crushed coral. I am probably going to use tap water.

next week I am going to buy a hydrometer.

is there anything else for the aquarium I need/should buy?

sooner or later I would like to buy some live rock and some mushrooms.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.15(Sat)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You wil want to purify your tap water.

2. For now you can mix the salt and water in the tank but once you have some inverts or fish though, you MUST mix it in a bucket and let it sit.

3. You should get a hydrometer as soon as possible.

4. It would be best to get a protien skimmer, and you NEED test kits.

5. You should add LR in the BEGINNING of the setup process because SW fish are senstive to change, AND you would have to cure the rock in a seperate bucket for weeks before you put it in your tank. It's much easier to get the LR now. Also, LR will start the cycling process. You DO NOT add fish until the cycle is finished. That is why you need test strips, a hydrometer, and LR at the beginning.

6. If you want coral, you MUST upgrade your lighting. Your lighting isn't right for corals. Also, IF you want to get corals, you shouldn't add them UNTIL the tank is about 9months-1.5 years. Corals require an ESTABLISHED tank and need EXTRA care. If you decide to get corals you will NEED a protien skimmer, upgraded lights, and your inverts/fish MUST be reef safe.
i_of_the_catfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.15(Sat)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

would any of these fish work? these are some of the smaller fish that looked very interesting to me. I'd really like to put an angel in, even if he was the only fish, but I can't seem to find one that would be able to live decently in a 10 gal

Ocellaris Clown
Lawnmower Blenny
Mandarin Dragonet
Clown Goby
Firefish
Tomato Clown

I'm still not sure if I am going to put fish in it at all I might just put invertebrates in it. Any of these?

Fire shrimp
Skunk shrimp

thanks all
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: