Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon reef tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again ahead of ya Wink

There is 5 pounds of good live rock in there and using aragamilk to get the puple stuff growin. fish wise not sure yet. I've set my limit at 2 fish. I want to keep the bioload on this tank at a minimum. For sand sifting gonna add a few Nassarius Snails and a scooter blenny for that. The Nassarius Snails stay on the sand zooming around and the scooter buries himself at night. Haven't decided on the other fish yet. Pseudochromis, Percula, blue damsel, Blue chromis something like that.

Might add another rock or two. I like the shelves for corals but might be too much shelf for me. Not sure yet I'll see how it looks once the corals get in there.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)10:14    Post subject: unbelievable Reply with quote

After being out of the hobby for two years I started up a 20 gallon long. I had about 75 pounds of dead dried rock sitting unsealed in my attic. dead dead no way anything survives for 2 years.

I start cycling on sunday. and used some new live rock plus 90% of the old. Which included this plate rock.

This is how it looked 2 years ago.

What are the chances that after less than a week those Zoo's on a two year old dead rock start popping up?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Anybody else have experience with this? There are about 15 popping up in various locations around the rock. Also corraline is starting to pop back up on some of the other dead rocks. This might be growth from the seeder rocks though.

LOL I hope that nice coraline comes back too.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad everything is working out. I am currently setting up a 55 and I ended up changing my plan because I saw the 55 you had and it was so beautiful. It inspired me to work even harder to get this project done.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck aquarium chicky its a lot of work but well worth the effort.

the zoo's I see growing might just be rehydronated dead ones lol will keep an eye on it.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, it will be. But I think it will be well worth it.

Once again, good luck. Could you post some pics soon??? I would like to see how it's turning out... if you don't mind.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.21(Fri)0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol it amazes me what some corals can survive(and macro algae) for example I thought I had killed off all the C. taxifollia in my tank as its now illegal to have in victoria, nope conditions in the tank got bad started popping back up!

not sure that the coraline will come back, there are definatly some stuff that stays dead when it dies(like sps corals).

can you try to get some close ups of the "zombie" zoos?

also by scooter blenny you mean the little guys that are in the dragnet family and are related more to mandarin gobies than actual blennies right? if so they don't mix up the substrate and should be kept in aquariums with a large amount of live rock or suitable population of micro invertabrates of which they feed upon.

andrew
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was zoo jerky.... They are already dissolving off which has seriously kick started my cycling. Also I've been seeding bacteria. In just the last few days the ammonia has hammered up and down and went through my blooms. Everything looks stable today. Gonna monitor the levels for another week to make sure its good to go. Then the fun will begin Very Happy .
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.08(Tue)5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirates Nitrites and ammonia have been great for a week. So I decided to stop by Alti's reef and pick out a few corals. Picked up some zoo's, Mushrooms, and GSP. Put them in and they all started to open up nicely. First time I ever saw GSP open up the first day. In my old tank always took a day or two. It was my first time there and was WOW'ed by the selection and prices. I'll definately be stocking the rest of my tank there. Heck he even gave me 5 free snails and free macro.

http://altisreef.com/index.html The website doesn't show even a quarter of what he has.

20 long
JBJ 2X65 PC
Seaclone 100 skimmer
5 gallon HOB refugium with some Macro

Stock list:

pink/red Mushrooms
Blue/green mushroooms
5 types of Zoo's
Neon green star polyps
2 scarlet hermits
2 Nassarious snails
8 astrean snails
1 Blue Devil Damsel

Here are some pics of them acclimating under the actinics:

[/url]

uhg had more but got nailed by the 640X640 limit have to edit them down later.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.08(Tue)8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice zoas, I like the eagle eyes... I have to get some now... Smile

Anyone who's saying which are those could check out www.zoaid.com
Very Happy
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.08(Tue)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Beautiful.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: