Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon reef tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)18:18    Post subject: 20 gallon reef tank Reply with quote

Been 2 years since the 55 reef crashed. Gonna be starting back up with a 20 gallon reef. I still have all my gear and live rock... well dead now but a lil algae sample from a friend will get that fired back up Wink

Will start posting pics soon.

Link to the 55 gallon pics:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=547
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind me asking, how did your 55 "crash" as you said? I looked through your pictures and they were amazing. I have become inspired to photo-journal my new tank. Everyone's pictures are just so awesome, I'm jealous Smile
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mega aiptasia outbreak. Lil anenome's that sting and kill off my other corals. I tried every trick I could find on the internet to get rid of them but there must have been a thousand in there. They were killing my corals so I tossed in a fish that eats them. Well he cleared them out and a lot of my corals too. Instead of rebuilding I just shut it down and gave the fish away. I still have all the rock and equipment. So I hope to turn a 20Long into a mini version of the 55.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it setup and cycling

two hermits with a shrimp pellet

Last edited by SoS on 2006.07.19(Wed)4:58; edited 1 time in total
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics don't seem to work. I presume you added a copper banded butterfly? imo aptasia outbreaks are better treated with some good ol peppermint shrimps Razz

good luck with your 20g, your 55g was an awsome tank. I still remember good ol brutus a very pretty fish.

andrew
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah will host them someplace else later.

Yeah it was a copperband. I tried cleaners but they just got eaten by my pseudocromis LOL
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm maybe you should have tried joes juice then I hear good things about it. are you going to have a sump? imo you could make a nifty little nano if you had all the equitment in a sump, had an external overflow and used closed loops for the water circulation. paint the back black or use a black glass and you wouldnt be able to see the bulkheads, just a tank with rock, fish, corals and inverts!

andrew
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.19(Wed)5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the pictures working.

Way ahead of ya on the sump. Its got a 5 gallon refugium. Heater and everything goes in there. Its still a lil cloudy, but the water is testing well.

Couple weeks I'll start adding corals. I'm gonna move that power head on the left to the top back left corner and add a piece of PVC with two outlets across the top left to get it out of the way. Will spread the flow out too.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.19(Wed)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking really good. I really liked the old 55 you had. It looked really nice.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.20(Thu)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

what fish do you plan on adding? imo I would include some useful fish, either gravel cleaners or algae eaters. not sure what species of goby that sifts gravel would fit your aquarium. the most common species used for that are blue cheeked gobies but they get quite sizable. might want to look into that. a blenny would probably also make a good adition but I am unsure of how compatable a goby that sifts sand and a blenny would be. imo if you can find a sutiable sand sifter get somethingn like a collector urchin to handle algaes on the rocks as well as snails.

I really like the aquascaping too! some very nice little shelfs but imo might want to add a couple pounds of high quality uncured live rock while its cycling just to sead the rest of it with micro organisms, small inverts ect.

keep us updated sos!

andrew
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: