Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
intro live rock
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
crete456
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)13:44    Post subject: intro live rock Reply with quote

Hello out there...Currently I have a FO 37 gal setup...I would like to remove the plastic corals and convert to live rock for a more natural look...What are the acclimation procedures if any and do I still keep my same equipment...currently I have a Emperor400,CPR cyclone skimmer w/bio bale...also do I still need to run carbon in my filter...I would appreciate any info
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

live rock needs to be quarentined just like fish... setup a Q-tank and run the live rock in it for a least 3 to 4 weeks before adding to your display tank. This also gives the rock a chance to truly cure which it alwyas does (even if claimed to be cured rock)

If nothing else it gives you a chance to watch out for glass anenomes and juice em.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

what lighting do you have? Live rock is like a coral.... you need 3 to 5 watts per gallon to keep the coraline algae alive.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be a little more technical...live rock can perform denitrafication in total darkness and the coraline algae which has no funtion of live rock as a filtration device must have adequate light to grow.

Live rock must be cured properly to prevent the die off of external organisms from polluting the tank. The bacteria inside the rock that actually does the work does not need to be cured but all live rock has creatures such as sponges and worms that usually do die in the shipping process, this is what must be allowed to disintegrate and be converted to less toxic substances.

In short...cure your rock in a seperate tank before adding to the main tank, even if you buy cured live rock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: