Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Stock/Coral
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)12:05    Post subject: New Stock/Coral Reply with quote

I DID have a stocking plan, but I ended up deciding to go with an open top and the Dartfish I choose were known jumpers. For stocking I am now looking more like this: (I thank you in advance.)

2 Oc. OR 1 Oc. + 1 B&W Oc. Clowns
3 Chalk Bass
1 Sunrise Dottyback
and MAYBE 2 Highfin Shrimp Goby depending on what you guys think

OR

1 Sunrise Dottyback
and 5 Chalk Bass OR 3 Chalk Bass depending on what you think.

OR

2 Oc. OR 1 Oc. + B&W Oc. Clowns
and 5 Chalk Bass.

I have also been reading more on corals and here is a list of soft coral I have looked into. I know some of these are not too hardy or take a lot of work and care, but I am willing to do whatever they need to survive. They are listed in order from most liked to least. I will list the hard later.

Anemones: (I would like to try, and if I am unseccesful I will forget the it.)

Magnificent Sea Anemone Herectis magnifica
Giant Carpet Anemone Stichodactyla gigantea
Sebae Anemone Macrodactyla doreensis
Sebea Anemone Heteractis malu
Carpet Anemone Stichodactyle mertensil
Bubble-Tip Anemone Entacmea quadricolor
Condy Anemone Condylactis gigantea

Soft Corals:
Giant Green Metallic Mushroom Anemone
Hairy Mushroom Anemone Rhodactis cf.
Leather Coral Sarcophyton spp.
Button Polyp Zoanthus spp.
Orange Tree Swiftia exserita
Kenya Tree Capnella spp.
Sea Pen Cavernularia olcesa
Hairy Mushroom Ricordea yuma
Various Xenia

Suggestions/Comments/Concerns are welcome. Sorry for any mispellings.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)12:41    Post subject: Re: New Stock/Coral Reply with quote

AquariumChicky wrote:

LOL, look what I started with the B&W clowns Smile I don't know nearly enough to tell you if that's a good stock or not, but I do know you can only have 1 anemone at a time. Whatever you decide, I want to see pics! Is this for the tank that you were cleaning?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only 2-40 watt lights forget the anemone...the min. lighting for an anemone in a 55 gallon tank would be a couple of 150 watt halides and you really should wait a year before adding them. Don't attempt anything other than the Condy, Sebae or the Bubble Tip, the others get way too big for your tank. It is best to avoid anemones all together. In the wild they can live 150+ years, in most aquariums 1 year is the norm. If you simply must get an anemone get a bubble tip, they are the most forgiving but still an expert level addition to any tank and most are captive raised now. They will survive with pc's but really grow the best under halides.

You will need to upgrade your lighting to at least 260 watts of pc's for the soft corals. These creatures require light to grow, if they don't get enough they starve slowly.

I know it is harsh sounding, but remember you are now trying to re-create a slice of a reef...that means bright light, super clean water and a lot of water movement. If you cannot meet those requirements, don't try and create a reef. Marine creatures do not adapt well, they come from an environment that has been stable forever and the creatures have no ability for rapid adaptation.

I would like to thank you for asking questions...we will do our best to help you have long term success. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sirreal63. I forgot to list my equipment:

1. 48" 300w Metal Halide + 20" 70w Metal Halide. (One for main and one for QT.) On both I will be running a bit over 5watts a gallon.
2. MegaFlow Sump Filter Model 2 or 3. No filter on QT.
3. Turbofloter Multi 1000 Protien Skimmer and a small one for my QT.
4. 40lbs. Fiji Pink Sand. All for main. Will have barebottom on QT.
5. 67lbs. Fiji LR. Most for main tank some for QT.
6. Appropriate sized heater and thermometers
7. 4 Model 900 Maxi-Jet Powerhead (2 on each side) for main and Hagen 20 Aquaclear Powerhead for QT.
8. Portable Refractometer.
9. 20 gallon QT tank.
10. Salt mix.

I think that's about it. I didn't plan to start adding corals until around 9months to 1.5 years after the tank has been esablished.

Barby Girl:
I had seen pics of the B&W Clowns long before your post. Your posts and sirreal63's pics did inspire me though. Very Happy I only planned on having 1 anemone, but thanks anyway. Yes, this is for the tank I am currently cleaning. When I post pics, you'll see it's come a long way. Although, I am going to have to scour the sided because at the top there was about a 2" long strip of buildup that won't come off.

P.S.

I just relized!!! I'm so stupid. It's a 55 gallon tank. Sorry I forgot to mention that, but I was in a hurry. I will most likely also be using a refugium and MAYBE a RO System. I need to test my water first though.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good equipment list. Plan on getting the RO/DI filter, tapwater is not suitable and contains too many things you don't want to add to your tank. If the Megaflow sumps have bio-balls please do yourself a favor and remove them, you don't need them and they can cause issues with nitrates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read about that, but thanks for confirming it for me. Thanks for saying its a good list. I've been working on researching my equipment and some stock for about 6-7 months now. I just reallyyyyyy didn't want to mess up.

P.S. What do you think of the stocking plans??? I would appreciate any imput.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with this stocking list.

2 Oc. OR 1 Oc. + B&W Oc. Clowns
and 5 Chalk Bass.
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit late, but I wanted to point out that anemones can sometimes be very very hardy. My boss's pride and joy, one named noodles, has outlived 3 pairs of tomato clowns and every indication is it's in perfect health and will keep chugging along for a while. Aside from my boss being the only one allowed to touch its tank, noodles gets no special treatment. Just my two cents about anemones, use it how you will Smile
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone. I'm still looking around at corals although it will be a while. With corals, I will most likely stick to more hardy species such as Bubble Coral, and Mushrooms. For the anemones, I am going to read up more. I know that some can be hardier than others, I am willing to put the extra time and money into which I pick. I will keep you updated.

P.S. Thanks for the imput on stocking sirreal63. The reason my main stocking list consisted of clowns and Chalk Bass is because everything I have read indicates that these are a few of the easier fish to breed. It may or may not happen, but I would love to breed. I have also been thinking about talking to my mom about trying to start up a Fish Hobbyist Club in my area.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: