Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
2.5 gallon Piiko reef with pics any ideas ???
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)0:11    Post subject: 2.5 gallon Piiko reef with pics any ideas ??? Reply with quote

OK guys so I'm back it has been a while that I havent come here (my PC broke Down) OK so all this time I have started a 2.5 Gallon Nano Or Pyko reef not sure what to call it Surprised well its already cycled I let it cycled for 2 months I have
Parameters:

Amonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Calcium 300 I have doubts should I put it all the way to 400 I have read that its better.

pH 8.2

I have 3 pounds of Premium live rock ($9.25 Lb)

2 Punds of crushed coral wich I will change to live sand althought I have seen little orthropods and other little animals thrive in it.

it has and 18 watt 50/50 light

and the filtration is a redsea nano filter with Kent nitrate sponge I will change to a Aquaclear soon.

Live stock two red legged hermits and 5 little turbo snails

also two coral frags the I bought wich are testers.

It looks wierd because I took it with my cell phone

Up close pic

Now the frags
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 turbo snails in a 2.5g is too many IMHO... these guys eat a fair bit. I am concerned that they will run out of food in that small a pico tank. Did you have a backup feeding plan?

I would have stuck to one hermit crab. Redlegged have been reported to pick at things in your tank more than the blue legged so keep a close eye on it.

In a 2.5g I would not add anything else than you have coral wise. I also wouldn't worry about live sand. The rock will seed your crushed coral.

Give your pico time, and keep up with frequent small water changes and see how it slowly matures. Rushing things in a SW tank is always a disaster... HTH
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the Alkalinity you will also have to raise it to keep a calc. level of 400. The two of them work hand in hand with magnesium. If you do not keep the three of them in balance with each other problems can occur, esp. in a tank that small.

You may need all of those snails in a few months when your water parameters go wrong...you will end up with hair algae before long. It will be very hard to keep your water clean with less than 2 gallons of actual water and waste emitting creatures. Watch your phosphates and nitrates very closely as they are what will fuel the algae.

Systems that small are extremely difficult to keep healthy. Pollution can happen in a matter of hours. Water changes are your best bet against disaster. The good news is this is possible to do but it will be extremely hard. If you make up at least 10 gallons of water change water at a time and keep it aerated and the same temp as the tank and change 20% daily you may be able to keep this tank alive for a while. Snails eat algae but still poop and it is that poop that will end up polluting the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well number six I doubit that they will ran out of food algae in the glass is a constant battle wich I some times scrape. they are also not large snails thys are very small. the hermits they don't bother anybody I got them out of my 55gallon about 2 weeks ago and I don't see them bothering anybody they just constantly clean the live rock.
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sirreal

It has been a long time, Smile

Well the pH is 8.2 I have read that its a good pH thats what my 55 gallon has the calcium in there is also 400. I have been doing research and I will add a pro skimmer on friday. I havent had nitrate problems that much only when I whent on vacation for 2 weeks to florida the liverock seems to be doing its job also I'm thinking of adding a nutrient export method in the filter. I did had problems with algae in the biggining but is started to use RO I still get algae but the snails and hermits handle it.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it has been a while...remember snails to not remove waste, they only convert it from algae which has the nutrients locked to waste which allows the nutrients to pollute the tank. Uneaten algae is safer (nutrient wise) than detrius passed through a snail. You have to stay diligant on your water changes and test daily.

The tank does look good but please don't be upset if it doesn't look that nice 3 months from now. It is normal for nano's to be short lived. I believe a Pico is considered anything under a gallon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey well just to be safe I removed 3 snails and I'm left with two in there also I will the adding a air protein skimmer but I'm not sure wich one is the smallest available. Confused

Well I think that it might work I don't know if you remember that 10 gallon nano cube that I set up I couldnt find the right lighting so I upgraded to a 15 gallon I will be posting pictures I tought that it was going to be hard but its acturally more stable than my 55g
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: