Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a stupid cleaning question
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)8:30    Post subject: a stupid cleaning question Reply with quote

I haven't read anything that addresses this question and it's bugging me. I understand the importance of gravel vac'ing and SW tanks for dummies talks about how you need to do it in both FO and reef tanks.... BUT if a big part of having live rock/sand is all the little buggers (seen and unseen) that live in it, how do you gravel vac without sucking them up? And I know when I gravel vac the FW tanks, I usually end up getting a small amount of gravel sucked up (which inadvertantly gets some in my plant pots or bathtub), so wouldn't that be worse in the reef as the substrate is so much finer? Or do I just have a cheap vac? Is there special vacs just for tanks with sandy substrate?
Thanks again for dealing with me Smile
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never try and gravel vac sand, you will suck out the good critters. If you have crushed coral or a larger substrate then it can be helpful to skim over the top layers with the vac.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that it sounded counter productive which is why I wanted to check. It didn't make sense to me, but the book said to do it. I assume all the little sand critters feed off of the waste that accumulates down there?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: