Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What the heck was *that*? (Worm ID)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)23:43    Post subject: What the heck was *that*? (Worm ID) Reply with quote

I was checking out my tank tonight with the moon lighting on, and I noticed this small white thing moving around in the current. At first I thought it was just a loose piece of debris, until I noticed it seemed to be changing direction too fast for the current.

Looking at it closer, it appeared to be some sort of worm. It kept doing this corkscrew-type move with it's body as it swam in the current. Finally it landed on a rock and I got a brief look at it before it disappeared under some algae.

It was white in colour with black down the back. Not very big, maybe 1 cm long.

I thought I'd gotten used to seeing critters in my tank, but there's always something that comes along and surprises me. Any ideas what it was?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never given these little guys a second thought... occasionally they swim off a rock during the day as well, they're just harder to spot....
I'll say the scientific name of these guys would be "little white worms" Laughing

As your tank matures, you'll have many more surprises... I don't think it ever stops... part of the fun of a reef tank....
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it have lil spikes all over its body?

bristleworms can be white with a brown. They are fine small. The large ones can eat fish in your tank and your inverts.

I had one that was 8 inches long.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: