Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Columbian Shark
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dragonchic3
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)14:25    Post subject: Columbian Shark Reply with quote

I know I'm prolly in the wrong place but,I am thinking about getting a Columbian Shark,I heard they need salt,I was wondering if this would be good , Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Salt ?...heres the description ..An all natural salt, made from evaporated sea water. Helps improve gill function to reduce stress. Reduces electrolyte loss, promotes healthy gill function and temporarily blocks nitrite toxicity. Contains the seven electrolytes necessary to maintain healthy freshwater fish. Can be used with most aquarium remedies to improve recovery from disease. Use as directed with each water change....Does that sound OK?
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Well, the best way to go can depend on two major things if you want the best for the shark.

1. This is IF you want to keep the Columbian Shark for the
Long-term, you will defenitely want to add a steady supply of salt in the water. And when I say the Long-term, I mean for some good 10 years. This shark will also incredibly reach sizes of up to 14 inches on most males. I am sure in the Long-term you will be honest and get him a suitable tank with good equipment. This is once again for the Long-term.

2. This second choice is if you will only keep the Shark for a limited amount of time anywhere from 1 month to a year or two. Then you will donate the shark to a bigger tank or you might upgrade youre equipment and captivity housing.

Note: Adding saltwater to a tank housing Colombian Sharks is VERY beneficial for a better imuna system and helps them to not loose their shiny coloured and soft skin layer. They do become prone to fungus if the skin is harmed slightly and salt only helps to keep them healthier. Also, salt I would recommend to use because in some areas of Colombia they actually are found in brackish water rivers and streams. I want to know youre equipment and youre knowledge about the shark.

The specific brand you said does work.The onlt thing would be if you get abigger tank you might want to change into using marine salt. But for now that will do. Are you planning on keeping him for a long time?

Good luck>J.R.
dragonchic3
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 200 gal , and I was going to see how he would do ,I do want to keep him for a long time..But right now on the back of the tankI have 2 Emporer back canisters , and 2 floor canisters,Both filters and 2 canisters says for fresh or saltwater...
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those will do very good. Then I just say you are ready and in youre case I might buy some amrine salt or variate between common brands. Yeah adding some salt will increase water hardness which is good for the Long-term. Hel' be fine.
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you might not want to double post or ask a mod to transport this into feshwater forum.
dragonchic3
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thanks!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: