Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question... approx cost?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)14:20    Post subject: Question... approx cost? Reply with quote

Hey.

I think all the nano reefs out there are AWESOME and I was wondering what you think the total cost for a 10gallon nano with a couple of inverts and maybe a diamond goby would cost?

We have ten gallon kits at my LFS for 69 bucks, that comes with lighting (though probably not bright enough for coral) the tank, a filter, etc. I'd need a heater, but would I need the filter? Wouldnt the LR do the filtering for me?

And what about a protein skimmer, would I need that for this tank?

Also how much LR would I need? I would get Fiji Live Rock...

Thanks in advance!
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost: not sure

LR: LR does help, but I think it's always best to be safe than sorry.

PS: I don't know if you would need it or not, but, it would probably be best.

LR: For a ten, you would probably want to go with about 5-15 lbs of LR. Love Fiji Rock. Nice pick.

Go to Photo Album and go to 20 Gallon Reef Aquarium started by perfectblue. They used Fiji Rock in they're set up.
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be your first saltwater tank? if so then a 10g gallon is not the best sized tank to start with. Reading a few good books will help you out greatly such as The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner. If you do wish to start with a 10g as your first saltwater tank I would suggest doing your research, taking everything very slowly, and if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Aquarium kits are basically no good for most saltwater setups. You would be better off buying each piece seperately as then you can get the equipment you need. For a 10g tank that is lightly stocked I would say that a protein skimmer is not needed. The live rock will do most of the filtration and add a couple small powerheads for flow. Your don't need any type of filter whether it is HOB, Internal, Canister, etc. Having a small filter is good to have as it gives you the option of using carbon or other similiar media if you wanted to. You can have anywhere between .5 -1.5lb of live rock per gallon of water, but I like to have around 1lb per gallon. I like Fiji live rock versus other types but pick the live rock that you like. Be sure to look around to find the best price for the live rock because prices vary greatly from one place to the next.

As for stocking a 10 gallon tank I would keep it invert only for the first few months as it will give you time to get the hang of keeping a saltwater tank. A Diamond Goby reaches 5-6 inches in length and would need a much larger tank. A 10 gallon tank could comfortably house a single small fish of around 2-3 inches in length. I would look into the smaller species of Clownfish, or a smaller species of Goby(Clown, Neon, Trimma, Masked, Catalina, Hi Fin Red Banded, etc)

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.06(Thu)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it would be my first tank, but I'm not really interested in having a large saltwater tank (aside from not having ANY room for anything bigger than 10-20 gallons, heh) But I love the look of the nanos, I think they're great.

okay, so no diamond goby. I guess its too small for two percs, right? Would a single percula clown be okay in there alone? I thought they had to be in pairs...

I see where you're coming from about the kits... if I don't need any of that other stuff (the filter/food/etc) there's not much point. I know we have a 10 gallon tank at work, just the tank, for like... 32 bucks I think.

What kind of lighting would I need for the LR plus maybe a few of the easier-to-keep corals?

And no worries about the taking it slow thing, I learned the hard way with my freshwater, battling with high ammonia/nitrite levels for several weeks, and I know saltwater takes a LOT of patience, and a lot of time, which is totally fine by me ^^

I like the fiji rock a lot, but the LFS I work at is quite expensive for it, so I may try to cut a deal with my boss or sneak over to SuperPet (Shhh, I never told you that Wink ) I eman at least I THINK its expensive, how does $8.99 CAD per pound sound? Too high? about right?

And thanks, I do have a ton of questions but I'm always wandering around these boards and I know I can count on you guys for help ^_^
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.06(Thu)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danikins wrote:

okay, so no diamond goby. I guess its too small for two percs, right? Would a single percula clown be okay in there alone? I thought they had to be in pairs...

Two Percula Clownfish would be pushing it in a ten gallon, but thats just my opinion. They don't necessarily have to be kept in pairs and will do fine if kept alone.

Danikins wrote:

What kind of lighting would I need for the LR plus maybe a few of the easier-to-keep corals?

For low-light corals such as Zoas, Mushrooms, etc I would recommend a simple PowerCompact fixture. Now you can get away with less but I would go with either the 80watt Current USA or 96watt Coralife. These fixtures are definitely enough light for softies and gives you the option of having LPS if you wanted to later on once you get some experience with easier corals.

Danikins wrote:

I like the fiji rock a lot, but the LFS I work at is quite expensive for it, so I may try to cut a deal with my boss or sneak over to SuperPet (Shhh, I never told you that Wink ) I eman at least I THINK its expensive, how does $8.99 CAD per pound sound? Too high? about right?

I actually really like Fiji live rock myself. Local fish stores usually charge a lot more for live rock then online but you don't have to pay for shipping then. I purchased my Fiji live rock from Premiumaquatics.com and I really like it. You can also order live rock from Liveaquaria, and Marinedepotlive. You can see pics of the Fiji live rock I purchased in my thread titled 20 Gallon Reef Tank which is located in the photo album section.

Good luck with your tank and if you have anymore questions just ask. Smile

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: