Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to re silicone a glass tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you just can't get the feel with gloves on nearly as good. The glove sticks or slips

Have the same experience. What you can do to protect sensitive skin is use some good skin cream and use it several times a few hours before the actual work. Believe me it will do good.

Nicely written Dale.

Are we going for a few pints at Dales Aquatic Cafe later on??? Wink
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course! In fact I'll buy a round for the whole AofA staff. Just show your aquahobby ID card Wink
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

dale wrote:
The silicone bead that is applied as per the article does not play an important role in holding the tank together; that job is performed by the thin film of silicone actually sandwiched between the panes of glass so increasing its size won't really improve the tanks integrity. For water tightness it is far more important to have very clean glass and a smooth continuous bead with no air pockets than a large bead.

Understood. But aren't most commercially-manufactured tanks siliconed with a bigger bead along the bottom because the bottom corners join 3 pieces of glass, versus two (for the side walls)? Or for increased durability against erosion caused by the friction of moving gravel over a significant period of time?

For whatever the reason, it seems logical to double up the bead on the seal on the bottom, no?

dale wrote:
I find gloves reduce the sensitivity of my touch and I rely on those subtle cues. To each his/her own though Smile

Point taken.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but the size of the bead doesn't matter that much. You either get a good seal or you don't. It has more to do with clean glass to start and no air bubbles or thin spots. The gravel shouldn't cause erosion as it doesn't move that much, if at all.
Jerry28016
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I had a 125 gal. aquarium give to me. A friend has downsized to a 65 gal. Anyway the 125 that was given to me leaks at one top corner. I was planning on resealing it. The artical was a huge help. I do have one question. The aquarium is made of GLASS that is about 3/8 in. or 1 cm thick. Will the same methods work on this aquarium?

Thanks,
Jerry
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Jerry.

Yes the process is the same.
Funny that you have a 72G. bowfront. I just resiliconed one for a freind of mine a little while ago.
Moni
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.23(Thu)5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dale, I think I'm finally going to have to reseal a tank. Someone is giving me a 40 gallon long tank and setup with a bunch of fish. They are getting out of the hobby. The tank is 10 years old and doesn't leak at all right now. But, I can see silcone missing in some places on the sides. I'm very scared about this not working and a flood happening. Basically it would make me feel better to know that people do reseal tanks at home all the time and that it works. Have you reseled a number of tanks and are they currently holding water good? Also, someone told me that I might need to tape or clamp the sides of the aquarium together when I reseal it. Is that true? I have an idential sized aquarium in my garage that was used for guinea pigs 8 years ago. Do you think that one is resealable if there are no cracks?
I know I'm just full of questions. LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Moni
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.08.23(Thu)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moni,

After replying I reread the article and saw a defect in it. It appears that I remove all the silicone from the glass but this is not true. I have corrected the paragraph and you should reread it just to be safe.

I've done a lot of tanks as described and they haven't leaked. Currently my 125G. sunfish tank is a resealed job. That breeder tank in the article has been filled since shortly after the article and has been housing submerged live rock for close to a year. The key to success really lies in cleaning all the old silicone off and in laying down a uniform bead as in the article.

You don't need to tape the tank together if you do what I describe. Remember you are not removing the thin film of silicone actually sandwiched between the panes of glass. This thin film is what gives the tank its strength and should rarely deteriorate. I never mess with it. The bead of silicone built up along the corner of the two panes provides the waterproof gasket. That is what you are replacing.

The guinea pig tank should be fine (as long as it is cleaned properly). Check it out as rodents often chew away the silicone.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.
Moni
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.23(Thu)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,
thank you! I finally think I can do this Smile I'll follow your article. It does seem very clear and easy to follow. I wondered about he sealant between the edges of the glass. So I'm thinking I should probably do alt the removal with cutting rather than pulling the loose pieces of sealant, to avoid pulling any of that out (if that's possible). I've also decided to reseal the tank that's had fish in it instead of the tank that's been dry for so many years. It looks like the better of the two. Plus I have eight other tanks set up that I could place the extra fish in.

Moni
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.27(Mon)19:46    Post subject: how much silicone will I probably need? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm ready. How much silicone will I probably need? I have two 3 oz tubes of aquarium sealant. Should that be enough?
Moni
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: