Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Injured Linckia
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aranda-Jaye
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.02(Sun)1:52    Post subject: Injured Linckia Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have a blue Linckia laevigata (blue starfish) and have had him/her for the last 10 months approx. He has a rather nasty gash on one of his arms - I have no idea how this could have happened - I suspect either the mantis shrimp that has eluded me for months, or my hermit crab that has been in the tank even longer than the Linckia. I have quarantined him in a separate tank and dropped in a couple of Veggie Wafers (for algae eaters), as this tank has no algae at all. When they softened I dripped some of the green liquid directly along the edges of his arms. I don't know if this is the right thing to do and I don't know how to treat his wound. I really hope someone out there can help me help him.
Kind regards,
Aranda
Sad
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.02(Sun)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear this, in my experience it is simply going to get worse...I feel they are unsuitable for the average aquarium. Please see my extensive comments regarding starfish at these links, another opinion at the bottom:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=31617&sid=34dd322ffc4762975e7691da27bfb56b

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.07(Fri)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it would be the mantis shrimp that might have slashed your starfish. They will wipe out everything in a tank if you give them a chance. There is a really good site about mantis shrimp, it has everything from pictures to videos. Also how to catch them to get them out of a tank to keeping them as pets.

The Lukers Guide To Stomapods
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/
Aranda-Jaye
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great site for understanding Mantis Shrimp. Thank you for address. I will probably try taking one piece of live rock out at a time and place in my Q. tank and hopefully lure him/her out - as I'm not too far from the ocean I will probably release him, if I can catch him that is.
I've moved my star fish back into the main tank last night as it wasn't eating, even after placing a juicy green algae ladened piece of live rock into the Q.tank. The wound seems more open, but not falling apart. He manouvered his wound over rising air bubbles for the past 4 days, I wonder if this is it's way of helping to heal it? This morning he has only moved a little over the algae encrusted glass. If anyone is interested I will keep you posted as to his condition.
Regards to all
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.16(Sun)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aranda-Jaye wrote:
I've moved my star fish back into the main tank last night as it wasn't eating, even after placing a juicy green algae ladened piece of live rock into the Q.tank. The wound seems more open, but not falling apart. He manouvered his wound over rising air bubbles for the past 4 days, I wonder if this is it's way of helping to heal it? This morning he has only moved a little over the algae encrusted glass. If anyone is interested I will keep you posted as to his condition.Regards to all

Sure, any success is always an interest and should be posted for others to reference... I would be surprised if this condition improves, I suspect it is not damage from the mantis shrimp (it's possible I suppose) but this type of dermal failure is very typical for declining starfish. I have seen MANY of these slowly disintegrate in captivity; it always starts with dermal failure of some sort.

I was in Key West a few days ago at a gift shop and saddened to see a huge pile of dried Linckia, they were stacked up like cord wood by the hundreds... surely these are an exploited species at many levels, hopefully marine hobbyists will come to understand more of their needs for long term captivity, until this is clear I would ask all aquarists please do not purchase and encourage the trade and poor stewardship of these creatures. I do hope your starfish recovers.
Aranda-Jaye
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now 2 weeks since my Linckia developed this wound, and I tentatively say it appears to be healing, that is, blue tissue has now covered the open wound, although the two edges where the opening was are still raised.
My LFS suggested dabbing Betadine on the wound for about three days. But as he appears to be improving I haven't tried it. My research also has turned up no further knowledge of their correct dietry requirements, mainly because it seems no-one really knows.
What a horrifying sight it would have been to see those dried ones. I too have seen many different types of starfish ending with this sad fate.
I would like to believe that keen aquarists like myself have a huge responsibility to care for their charges and must also play a vital roll in bringing a respectful awareness to the beauty & wonder of these and other sea creatures. As we share our passion with our family and friends they unwittingly develop a fondness for these creatures if out of nothing else but because they see we care. This awareness & the aquarist knowledge can only continue to grow. I point out that not one person I know has started an aquarium but they all love to spend time in front of mine.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I would say you might want to ask at www.masa.asn.au the online site and forum for the marine aquarium societies of australia. only reason I recomend it is if you join up with the queensland society you will get to go around to meetings which are held ad members houses and see their aquariums. I am in vic so I am a member of MASOV. I found it really benificial there are lots of people with teh same access to equitment and live stock and with lots of good tips.

I hope your starfish recovers,

andrew

edited:

did a little serach of rtaw(the masa forum) and came up with that they eat sponges and algaes and seem to require a fair bit of live rock to sustain them. one member says she had one with 30kg of live rock and it starved but he/she now has one with 100kg of life rock and its "happy as"

andrew
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: