Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Final Stocking Need Imput
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.26(Mon)19:32    Post subject: Final Stocking Need Imput Reply with quote

I will soon be setting up my 55 gallon. I would like to go the way of the reef. I was thinking:

1 Court Jester Goby
3 Chalk Bass
2 Ocellaris Clowns
3 Barred Dartfish

Also:
1-2 Brittle Sea Stars
1 Long-spined Sea Urchin
3 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Then for plants (will not be added till tank is established for about 9 months - 1 year:

1 Button Polyp
1 Yellow Colony Polyp
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Bullseye Mushroom Coral
and 1 Sand Anenome

I have done my research and I think I am well able to provide what they need. For equipment I plan on:

Full Hood with Twin-Bulb light
Canister Filter
Venturi or Turbo Protein Skimmer
Live Rock
Sand (What do you recommend???)
2 Maxi-jet Powerhead/Pumps
Heater and thermometer
Hydrometer or Refractometer
Test Kit (Most likely Hagen Master Kit)
Synthetic Salt Mix
and supplements for the corals/polyps and anenome.

What do you think?????? I am open for suggestions.

One question. I have looked at the HO (High Output lights). If I were to get the part you must use it with, do you have to special order a hood for it, or will it go into an existing hood???? Also, what is the watt per gallon needed for a reef tank???
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.26(Mon)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a list... nice to see someone is thinking ahead.
The only thing I would consider is a refugium instead of the cannister; even a trickle filter packed with live rock vs. plastic media would be better than the cannister IMO. It's just going to become a nutrient trap and nitrate factory.
You can always use a prefilter on the sump for heavy particulates, and the sump will give you a great place to hide the skimmer and heater.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I love planning ahead. When I got into the hobby about 10 years ago, I started with freshwater. I was such a noob that my tank was horribly overstocked. But, I learned and fixed my mistake. I am NEVER going to make that mistake again.

I had looked into the sump but hadn't been quite sure of them. So, instead of the canister filter, what if I went with the sump. AND got a refugium.

A few questions.
1.I've read and researched that a refugium can be used as a qt. Is this true???
2. Can you tell me anything about HO lights??? I was planning on using 2 40watt lights (full spectrum and blue actinic). OR would what I'm planning to use be enough???
3. Which sand would be best??? I've though of LS, but it's gona be hard to get a hold of some. (I can get some though if it would be best.) Do you recommend LS??? If not, what do you recommend???

I plan on using a 15gal with a canister filter MAYBE a small protein skimmer if I have some money left over and a thouroghly washed planting pot for shelter along with the necessaries (heater and thermo. etc.) I will not be using LR or Sand in the QT tank.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

AquariumChicky wrote:

I had looked into the sump but hadn't been quite sure of them. So, instead of the canister filter, what if I went with the sump. AND got a refugium. You could do both but most of us combine the two into a large sump/fuge.

A few questions.
1.I've read and researched that a refugium can be used as a qt. Is this true??? Only if it isn't connected to the main tank but I would use a seperate QT.

2. Can you tell me anything about HO lights??? I was planning on using 2 40watt lights (full spectrum and blue actinic). OR would what I'm planning to use be enough??? For fish only it is fine but not for corals and definately not the anemone. If you want an anemone plan on metal halides or T5's at the least.

3. Which sand would be best??? I've though of LS, but it's gona be hard to get a hold of some. (I can get some though if it would be best.) Do you recommend LS??? If not, what do you recommend??? There are many sand options, you could use bagged aragonite and seed it with a little live sand to get the needed bacteria and dentrivores. I started mine with a cup of live sand from a LFS.

I plan on using a 15gal with a canister filter MAYBE a small protein skimmer if I have some money left over and a thouroghly washed planting pot for shelter along with the necessaries (heater and thermo. etc.) I will not be using LR or Sand in the QT tank.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks. You two have been a lot of help.

I did some research and this is what I found that looks like it would be pretty good.

Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights

Brilliant High Output T5 fluorescent bulbs PLUS LED lunar lights
rovides complete 24-hour lighting for your reef aquarium
Space-saving T5 fluorescent bulbs encased in a slim housing design

CurrentBrilliant high output T-5 fluorescent bulbs paired with the nocturnal glow of LED lunar lights. 2 leading edge advances in lighting technology contained in a compact energy-efficient fixture for complete 24-hour lighting. Features microprocessor controlled internal electronic ballast, integrated cooling fans, parabolic reflector, and protective splash lens. Two separate power switches for primary lighting and 3 independent power cords enables the Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture to be automated. Simply plug the power cords into timers for custom light periods to suit the requirements of your aquarium inhabitants. Includes docking mounts and Slimpaq 460nm Actinic and 10000
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an expensive fixture for what it is. They are capitalizing on the T5 craze and giving you a crappy fixture for way too much money. It doesn't have individual reflectors and that is the main plus to having T5's. Individual reflectors are the most important part of a T5 fixture. Buying that one is a waste of money and no better than a pc fixture. I would go with a double 150 watt metal halide fixture, not much more money and you can keep anything you want to under it. If you want T5 go to reefgeek.com and get a real fixture. A 4 bulb T5 fixture with real reflectors will allow you to keep whatever you want as well. I still prefer the halides but that is just a preference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll continue to do research. I just want a good fixture for what I'm gona have to pay because the money is coming out of my own pocket, and not my parents.

Edited: I've looked at the Metal Halides. I would say my 2 Top Picks would be:

1. Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture
2. SunPod HQI Metal Halide with Lunar Lights

The SunPod would be about $130 less. The 48" provides 300 watts with 2 150w 14000k HQI

Which do you think would be best??? Also, after getting the polyps/coral (Come in a pack) and the anemone, would I be too my limit, or would I be able to get a some more corals??? If so, what would you recommend??? I would like to stick with ones within my lighting/care/expense range. I want to stick with corals under $50.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing my research and I think I want to stick with:

1 Brain Coral, Wellsophyllia
1 Green Bubble Coral
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Green Flourescent Mushroom Coral
1 Sand Anemone
1 Blue Tuxedo Pincushion Sea Urchin
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Court Jester Goby
3 Chalk Bass
2 Ocellaris Clowns
3 Barred Dartfish

And for equipment:

1 SunPod HQI Metal Halide with Lunar Lights (Provides 300watts.)
1 Megaflow Sump Filter Model 1 with AquaLifter Pump and Filter
1 Turboflotor Skimmer 1000 Multi
40lbs. Fiji Pink Sand
67lbs. Select Fiji Premium Live Rock (May put some in QT tank and sell what is leftover.
2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead Model 900
1 Vital Sine Refractometer
Synthetic Sea Mix
Master Test Kit
Heater and Thermometer.

Last few questions.
1. What heaters do you recommend???
2. What test kits do you recommend???
3.I don't plan on using a hood with the SunPod. Is this OK???
4. Will I be to my limit with fish/coral???
5. If not, what corals do you recommend??? If not, could I add 1 or 2 more Barred Dartfish and/or Chalk Bass???

Thanks for all the help. I'm putting a lot of my own money into this tank, and I just don't want to screw it up.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your stocking list, I would probably avoid the urchin, it will feed on your desirable coralline algae... and also skip the anemone; as a rule they are difficult to maintain long term for most hobbyists. The cleaner shrimp is a good choice for a beginner invert.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks for all your help. I'm quite certain I won't mess up. Thank you too sirreal63.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: