Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
converting into a mini reef
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mandude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.22(Thu)11:14    Post subject: converting into a mini reef Reply with quote

Right now I have a 10 gallon community tank. I plan on converting it into a mini reef when my current fish die. Would it be possible if I used my aquaclear filter for filtration. Also, what kind of equipment would I need like for the hood, filter, heater, lighting,substrate and would FW equipment be OK
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.22(Thu)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the notices at the top of this forum, they will answer your questions and the articles section has answers as well. These are basic questions that the notices were writen to handle.

I am concerned that if you are waiting for the freshwater fish to die that you may not be ready to handle the added work of a marine tank. We take this hobby seriously and it doesn't sound as though you do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
mandude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.22(Thu)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not waiting for my fish to die, I just said that when the times comes that my fish die I plan on turning the tank into a SW
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.22(Thu)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is going to be your first SW, I, and many others, would NOTrecommend starting with a small tank. They must have light bioloads, and are a lot harder to manage. Flunuations in temp., water quality, and salinity happen much faster thus making them hard to manage. Also, what is in your community tank? Most fish that can be kept in a 10 gallon are [b]beginners fish. I'm sorry, but if all you've handled is guppies, tetra's, swordtails, betta's, etc., I highly recommend against the SW. Guppies and such are considered beginners fish, and just because you can handle beginner fish doesn't mean you will be able to handle all the extra work of a SW. If you want to get a SW, I recommend getting a larger tank, BUT first gaining more experience with more delicate FW fish.

EDIT:I just checked your profile. A few problems.

1. If your plec's are common pleco's, you are WAYYY overstocked.
2. Danio's and Tetra's prefer to be kept in groups. NOT singly.

Common Plec's can get up to 18inches. Even with one common plec in your tank you are stunting your fishes growth. Read this: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20742. This is not healthy. Please, I'm not trying to be mean, but... If you can't take the time to PROPERLY stock your FW tank and RESEARCH the fish for your FW, then I REALLYYYYY DON'T think you are ready for the responsibility of a SW.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.22(Thu)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I seemed rude or inappropriate earlyer. I just realllyyyyyyyy don't think you will be ready to handle the responsiblity of a SW tank. Sorry if I seemed gruff in my earlier post.
mandude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.24(Sat)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, thanks for the advice
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.24(Sat)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. As you can tell I just feel really strongly about fish.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: