Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too Much Water Flow?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.16(Fri)23:01    Post subject: Too Much Water Flow? Reply with quote

Hey, I was recommended to use two Seio 1500 powerheads for my 86g reef. Since each powerhead creates 1500gph totalling in 3000gph, do you think this is too much waterflow? I'm asking because I read of people having a much less amount of water movement.
Banjo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.17(Sat)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of planning a mini-reef and would love to hear from someone more experienced on water turnover required.

Robert Metelsky recommends 12X total tank volume per hour at this site: http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/METELSKY.HTM
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.17(Sat)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 15 gallon nano that is being set up right now, I have about 20X turn over, and I would not hesitate to bump it up to 30 even. I don't think you will have problems, as long as you have some sort of refuge for your fish if the current is bothering them.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nano has about 55 X tank volume in turnover approx. there are some tanks out there with a lot more too. usually ones that are BB(bare bottom) and have a starboard base which means they can have heaps of flow with no sand storms(also its nice and clean). how much flow you have depends on what sortof corals your looking to have and fish. small polyped stony corals will require more flow then say mushroom corals or zoanthids. whats the overall plan for the reef? mixed, bit of this bit of that, just soft corals, maybe some large polyped stony corals?

answer those questions and you'll know how much flow you need.

andrew
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know I'll have SPS corals, which means I will need a higher turnover rate. I'll also have some mushrooms, polyps, softies, and LPS's. What would you recommend?
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.21(Wed)3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

designing the tank and its flow so you have some areas of low flow and some with higher flow. really just moving pumps around and seeing where the flow is and ajusting acordingly. I have to make sure my powerheads not blasting straight at a coral, I have it aiming behind the rockwork where the flow defuses a bit.

andrew
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: