Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
white malu
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mixmaster
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.15(Thu)5:13    Post subject: white malu Reply with quote

H All

Just purchased a white malu have placed all over the tank seems OK for about half hour then seems to start to fold and move just placed it in the sand and now it has turned on its side and its tentacles are on the glass ????
the tentacles are extending and my clowns are trying to host in it,
Any suggestions as to placement, behaviour,

Thanks
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.15(Thu)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have known these answers before purchasing, what is your lighting?
In my experience, a white host anemone is usually a dying specimen (expelled algae)... they should be dark brown or greenish brown, more from the sitcky on this forum, sorry for bad news:

Ritteri (H. magnifica), Sebae (H. crispa), Long Tentacle (H. malu), Giant Carpet (S. gigantia), etc. etc.
Although the Bulb-tips (Entacmaea quadricolor) are maintainable by experienced aquarists and can even be propagated with correct lighting/water quality, the fact is, millions of other host anemones have wasted away in aquaria; most live only a few weeks or months under a beginner's care; even advanced hobbyists are now backing off many species, due to increased awareness of the symbiosis/longevity/sparse population of wild specimens and the dismal mortality of captives. Please understand; anemones can live for decades--even the better part of a century--if left in the wild. They are not throw-away seasonal annuals in the local garden center. Your clownfish does not require this invertebrate in captivity. Many of these are still gladly sold to unsuspecting/ignorant hobbyists with no clue about lighting/water movement/feeding requirements, etc.
mixmaster
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.15(Thu)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Florida boy

The anemone is actually a sebae anemone Heteractis (Radianthus) malu

The link below shows the exact one I have
[url]
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/saltwater_inverts/swi1681.html[/url]
As for lighting I have 2 t5 marine white and a t5 blue (in my profile)

I didn't buy the anemone I inherrited it from my next door neighbour who has emigrated, along with 2 faulse perculas.He had this for over a year and it was white when he bought it.
I read the sticky on these but surley just because they arent the hardiest of spieces means I should just give up with it. I would like to keep this anemone as I think it is a beautiful speciemin that should have the opportunity to survive.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.15(Thu)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust you are telling the truth about the inheritance, (your post says PURCHASED) not attacking you my friend but as a diver and UW photo hound I deplore the trade in these animals and have little tolerance for it.
These long-lived reef creatures deserve better than to perish in aquaria...
sadly, after many years in this hobby I can tell you most aquarists only stop to think about this when they are flushing the rotting anemone down the toilet.
Look to metal halide lighting and I do wish you success... more opinions below:
http://fins.actwin.com/species/anemone.html
http://www.homereef.com/reference/heteractis.html
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why I have a plastic one, lol, I was just wondering, has anyone ever seen a clown host a plastic anemone?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: