Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
30 gallon SW plans and questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.08(Thu)19:14    Post subject: 30 gallon SW plans and questions Reply with quote

I erased what I had previously written here, please skip to my next message. thanks Very Happy

Last edited by Jazzsprstr on 2006.06.28(Wed)3:13; edited 3 times in total
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.27(Tue)2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research on corals and see what ones would do best with lighting you want to have. Some need less light some need more. As far as the anenome goes it should be placed in a mature aquarium well after you have had the tank set up a while. They can be very difficult to keep. For lighing they require 3-6 watts per gallon and need perfect water quality where a newer tank will go through many changes and possible fluctuations. If you do decide to go with one there are some clowns that will only host specific anenomes.

some links
http://w3page.com/fishline/anemones.php

http://www.amdareef.com/ho_anemones.htm
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've got the tank cleaned out and it's filled with freshwater. It's got the Penguin 350 filter going and a heater. The temp. is at 74 degrees fahrenheit.

My stocking plans after some good reading is this:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Damsel (theres a black and white stripe Damsel at my lfs that I'm going to get)
1 Purple Firefish
1 Banded Coral Shrimp
A bunch of Turbo Snails
About 5 Blue Hermit Crabs
1-2 Emerald Crabs

I know not to add them in that order. I will add them like this:
Snails and Hermits
Emeralds and Shrimp
Firefish
Damsel
Clowns

Would any of you consider that to much? That's all I will add. If I have to then I can cut the Damsel. They don't get too big, but if you guys think it's too much I will.

I've decided that this will just be a FOWLR tank for now and in the future when I have enough money turn it into a Reef tank and add some corals. But for now, FOWLR is fine. My question about it though, is this, will the regular hood light work for now with a FOWLR tank? It's only a 20 watt bulb and it's getting close to being a year old. I'd prefer not buying an expensive 80 watt light for now just to get me by until I can buy a 150 watt light and then sell the 80 watt. I'd like to keep the light that I have now until I get that 150 watt light. I'm just not sure about how the live rock will do on 2/3 of a watt per gallon. Also, do the fish or crabs or shrimp require a certain wattage per gallons? That's something I haven't found in my reading. Eventually I'll buy an expensive 150 watt light and get some small corals, but for now I don't have much money and need to start setting aside some of my money for a car. Even though it almost seems smarter to buy a really nice bike with gas prices like they are. lol!

Anyways, I guess my only other question is how high should my sand level be? I am buying white marine sand and from what I've read about how much to get I've only gotten confused. I'd like to have a good 2 inch layer. Is that reasonable?

I am going to buy a blue background for this tank and eventually a skimmer. The skimmer will be after I get the live rock and the fish though. My HOB Penguin 350 will work well enough until I get the skimmer.

My last question for you all is where a good temperature level that you all would reccommend is? I'd guess 74-75 fahrenheit.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like to keep my tanks around 76. But that's just me.

The only thing I see, is that you have clowns and damsels. You are good with 2 clowns. Get any more, and they will fight. BUT, clowns and damsels come from the same family, and tend to fight. I think you know how expensive fish can be , so I would suggest gettting rid of the damsel.

I can't tell you much about the inverts, but I know the clowns and firefish would be OK. (You may be able to add something else BESIDES the damsel, but I'll leave that to the experts.)

From what I know, everyone suggest about 2-3" of sand. So you should be good.

I think the 20 watt would be OK till you get your 150 watt. BUT, the 20 won't show your fish off very good.

Hope that helps. Very Happy
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input AquariuChicky. I will switch the Damsel for a Yellow Clown Goby. They are quite entertaining and are a nice exchange. I might try to find another small, omnivorous fish to fit the spot, but the Goby is perfectly fine with me.

I am curious about the Marine Sand I am going to get. Will it raise the pH to a basic level suitable for SW fish? I am hoping to get 30 pounds.

Final question for the moment is what do you guys think is the cheapest, but best salt mix to buy?
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stocking: I will leave the rest of that to the experts.

Sand: I'm not quite sure. I THINK it depends on what kind you get. I've seen some that are suppose to keep pH at a certain level, some that are suppose to help avoid large fluncuations in pH, and some that are..... well... just sand. But, I'll have to leave the for-sure stuff on that to the experts.

Saltmix: Not sure. Theres not much choice around here (where I live). I'll have to leave that to the expert.

P.S. I have READ that it's best if you have a smaller tank to buy a bunch of smaller bags of salt mix instead of one big one because it will clump and go bad. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I just read it.
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sand thing makes no sense. Why would it clump together? It's all the same sand. It's $4 cheaper if I buy a big bag than 3 smaller ones. I don't know though, so I can't say you're wrong, but that sounds "fishy" to me. I will buy a large bag and 2 small bags.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltmix and sand are two different things, Jazzsprstr. Saltmix is the salt that you put in the tank and sand is... I think you get it.

The salt can clump together if any moisture contacts it, but I don't think it affects it at all chemically. I just break apart the clumps if it does do that.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! I'm sorry, I thought she was talking about sand. Yeah I know the difference. Just a misunderstanding. Sorry about that
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.01(Sat)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy No problem. We all make mistakes.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: