Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Clown Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.08(Thu)18:55    Post subject: Clown Question Reply with quote

OK. I'm getting ready to set up my first sw. The only thing I need to do is figure up my stocking plan. I would love to get some clowns. I've done my research, and they say you should only keep a pair unless a larger tank is provided. BUT, I have also read that if the clowns are tank breed, and they are still small that as long as they are introduced at the same time that many varieties of clowns can be maintained in the aquarium.
Does anyone know if this is true? Has anybody ever tried this?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixing clowns is always risky. They are social fish but prefer their pair bond and view others as intruders. It may be fine for a while when they are Juvenile but as the pair bonding takes place the oddballs will be brutalized.

I have a pair of orange percs and a pair of black percs in my 125 and it is just barely large enough to keep everyone happy. You would think a 6' tank would offer enough space and seperation but that isn't always true.

Avoid mixing clowns and adding more than a pair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I though. That was just something I read on LiveAquaria.com. I just figured I'd ask if it was true or not. Thanks sirreal63.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the same thing about being able to keep several species or individuals if they are tank-raised, young, and introduced at the same time on www.peteducation.com in an article called Clownfish: Advantages of Tank-raised. I know that clowns are aggresive and only a pair of one species should be kept per tank, but it seems that some knowledgable sources have been saying the above about tank-raised.

www.liveaquaria.com: If introduced to the aquarium at the same time, many varieties of tank bred clowns can be maintained together in the aquarium.

www.peteducation.com: Wild harvested clownfish are very territorial. They have been used to defending their small space and their host anemone from invasion or attack by other clownfish. Tank raised clownfish are not nearly as aggressive. Because these clownfish are raised in a group setting without host anemones, they usually do not develop these territorial aggressive tendencies. They are less likely to be aggressive to tank mates or other species of clownfish. In fact, one of the advantages of many of the tank raised clownfish is that they can be housed with other clownfish of the same or even different species. If the clownfish are added to the aquarium at the same time when they are young, they will often live together peacefully for their entire lives.
References and Further Reading
Fenner, RM. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. T.F.H. Publications. Neptune City, NJ; 2001.
Wilkerson, JD. Clownfishes. T.F.H. Publications. Neptune City, NJ; 2001.

Like I said above. I know clowns should only be housed in pairs, but these two sites seem quite knowledgable in what they are doing.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peteducation.com and liveaquaria.com are the same site. The only difference is that one sells fish and the other is more for reading. Anyways, whether they're tank-raised fish or wild caught doesn't make a difference. Once they pair up, the oddballs will be killed by the pairs. A pair is enough to make people happy. You don't need to go all out and buy a bunch, no matter how much you love them.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just asking Mike. I didn't plan on getting more than a pair. No need to yell.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't intend for that to be a yelling.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK. I was just asking cause I've read it before, just didn't know if it was true or not. I would love to have multiple species of clowns, but with the cost of sw fish, I wouldn't dare risk it, especially since my favorite clowns are ocellaris (2-3.5inches) and yellowstripe maroon (6inches).
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy/make a tank separater. Also, Mike was not yelling. He was talking sternly. HE WAS NOT YELLING. I just yelled. Only difference is capitalization. That's just a little knowhow for a new member.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again CCS. Nice icon. Very Happy But wait?! Now you may eat the fish!!! Shocked
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: