Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ammonia help please!!!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jhdenn
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)11:10    Post subject: Ammonia help please!!! Reply with quote

I have a 55 gal tank with about 45 lb of live rock. The tank has been established for about 8 months. We do monthly water changes of between 10-20%. Our Nitrates are 0 our nitrites are at 0 pH is 8.2 and our ammonia level has gone to 1.00 and stops, we have tried ammochips, extra filters etc... We have the ammo chips in the sump tank and a whisper filter that we added for the ammocarb to try and stop the ammonia, we have this past weekend compelted a 50% water change in hopes of dropping the ammonia levels and it dropped for about 12 hours to.5 then within one day back to 1.00 We have not been feeding often we are trying to lower the ammonia by any way possible. PLEASE HELP!!! Any suggestions on what else to try or what could be causing the problem???
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a better test kit? They do get old and inaccurate. A bad test kit can make you crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, take the water to your LFS and ask them to confirm your readings.
If the reading is accurate, I would ask about the "Ammo chips"...why are you using a freshwater product on your marine system? I think you would want a product called Purigen?
For best advice, I need to know your complete livestock list and filtration please.
jhdenn
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ammochips are for saltwater as well as fresh. I have a false percula, foxface, blue hippo tang, engineer goby all small and then a small lobster, peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, about 40 hermit crabs, 3 emerald crabs. The fish are doing just great beautiful colorinf, no illness, but we are having problems keeing corals. We have CPR Wet/Dry CR500 (to 60 gallons) w/ Rio 2500
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems keeping corals will either be lack of light, nitrate or phosphate, it usually ends up being lighting or poor water quality. Fish aren't that sensitive but corals are.

I would be interested in your water parameters..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhdenn wrote:
The ammochips are for saltwater as well as fresh. I have a false percula, foxface, blue hippo tang, engineer goby all small and then a small lobster, peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, about 40 hermit crabs, 3 emerald crabs. The fish are doing just great beautiful colorinf, no illness, but we are having problems keeing corals. We have CPR Wet/Dry CR500 (to 60 gallons) w/ Rio 2500

Hmm, okay before we start off on corals, I thought this was about an ammonia problem... can you find a link to the Ammo chips you are using? Every link I have found for this product specifies fresh water use. You should have no ammonia in an established system... Jack's comments about the test kit is important... did you get the water tested, verify your readings?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: