Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
48 Gallon Goldfish tank
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Beccaboo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.03(Sat)8:07    Post subject: 48 Gallon Goldfish tank Reply with quote

Okay, well after our 48g bow cycled, we moved the poor white comet that had outgrown everything else in there (b/c I didn't know much about goldfish when I started Embarassed ). He has been such a character I finally just decided to make that tank a goldfish tank. The rule I saw was 20 gallons for 1 and 10 gallons for every GF after that, so there are 4 in there and no more will be added. I was going to add an Apple Snail, but you can't buy snails in TX right now.
Now here's my question: the fish are a white comet, a gold fantail, a shubunkin, and a black moor. I've watched them for the last few days. The comet is about 3 times the size of the other, but doesn't seem to bully or hog food. So far, the moor seems to get plenty of food at feeding time. They all do a lot of scavanging at the bottom in between feeding times, and he gets more then. Will I eventually need to worry about him not getting as much as the others?
Also I read that the shubunkin and comet may get larger than the other two, so I'm pressuring my hubby to let me put a pond in the backyard. I've had the comet for about 5 months and he's a good 4" now, so would I be looking at them outgrowing this tank anytime soon? If I planned to put the pond in next spring would that be soon enough, or will they be okay in the tank?

Thanks...and sorry to be so longwinded!! LOL
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.03(Sat)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will I eventually need to worry about him not getting as much as the others?

No, but when your feeding try to give him the upper hand ex. feed close to where he is or wait for him to come up.

Quote:
I've had the comet for about 5 months and he's a good 4" now, so would I be looking at them outgrowing this tank anytime soon? If I planned to put the pond in next spring would that be soon enough, or will they be okay in the tank?

Yes, he/they will not reach the full size potential in the tank and be comfortable at the same time. So a pond would be your best option, but till then (considering that's next spring) they should be OK in the tank.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: