Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Egg identification - tree frogs? toads?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)5:35    Post subject: Egg identification - tree frogs? toads? Reply with quote

Somebody laid eggs in my daughter's kiddie pool last night. I suspect they belong to tree frogs, but maybe they are toad eggs? Can anybody help with identification?

The eggs are slightly larger than a poppy seed, black with a little white. There are hundreds and hundreds of them in little clumps. In the picture below, I've put a small paper clip at the bottom of the bowl to compare size (click to enlarge). I've seen plenty of bull frog and leopard frog eggs before, and these are slightly similar.

If they are something I want, I'll keep them there till they hatch out, and then move them into my fry tank or one of the water gardens. If not, then I assume it's safe to feed the eggs to my fish?

GFB
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I remember correctly, from eggs are connected be what looks like string, actually, all of it looks like string (when my dad had a pond going, he asked me when he got home from work, "boy, did you be chance put black thread in the pond???" (yes, he calls my boy.....LOL) so, were thoes attached by what looks like black string?

and, when you say kiddie pool, do you mean, you have a kiddie pool as a pond, or, is it just a kiddie pool?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be treefrog eggs. Toads lay eggs in strings(1 for each ovary).

However, their is one easy way to find out...raise them! Wink

Fish IME don't touch bullfrog eggs due to all the gelatin. I recall feeding the new tads to them...they were taken but not enthusiastically. IMO you'd ought to raise them.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.24(Wed)4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the eggs are not in a thread, so they must be tree frogs rather than toads. Either one is fine by me honestly, since they both eat a lot of bugs! Last night when I got home I checked on them and the eggs had already changed shape. Yesterday I put a cluster in my fry tank, wondering if they would be left alone - they weren't, all eggs were gone by the time I got home. So I guess the nasty old kiddie pool has to stay around for a little longer - hopefully we don't get too many mosquitoes hatching out of it.

Yeah, it's a woefully neglected kiddie pool - if the tree frogs laid eggs in any of my three small water gardens, the fish must have gotten to the eggs immediately, because I didnh't see any eggs there. The pool has been sitting there with water in it for like two weeks, so the water is reasonably aged. I know, I know, it's pretty tacky and gross. I've been working a lot of hours lately and haven't been keeping up very well on the home front.

Update: I skimmed a few more out into a bowl, and they are already tadpoles! I had no idea it happened this fast. A few were already swimming in response to me disturbing the pool!

This morning's pic, 24 hours after pic 1 (click to enlarge):

nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.24(Wed)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! As for mosquito larvae just keep your eyes peeled. Don't let the water get dirt as that will attract mozzies straight away.

Do not feed them yet. Wait till they are actively swimming and rasping at stuff and then offer them an algae covered rock and maybe some fish flake or a bit of an algae tab.

I'm curious to found out what species it is. You are very lucky to live in an area where these just pop up in your backyard and where the species is actually a mystery(I know all 3 species that occur around my place and do not expect any more unless something amazing happens and bullfrogs dissapear(which would put me back at 2).
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.26(Fri)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, well, I think it's more of a mystery because I'm not knowledgeable yet. But yeah, here in my yard I've noticed several different species of tree frogs over the years...and I'm in a densely populated subdivision.

Well, there are mosquito larvae in the pool now too, but not too bad. There are enough predators around to where I usually don't notice a problem wiht them after they mature.

I haven't posted pics in a couple days now, and there are probably a thousand tadpoles... "a bit of an algae tab" you say? In the past 12 hours they ate SEVEN algae tabs. My husband is getting a bit nervous about the prospect of having a thousand frogs in our yard. So I've been scooping some out every day and using them as fish food. My little kribensis juvies are in hog heaven, chowing down on them.

If I get time to take more pics I'll move this over to the Photo Album and call it a journal.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.30(Tue)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lots of frogs in the back would be a good thing as they'd help a lot in the garden.

You guys have several species of treefrogs, several ranids, a few weirdos like spadefoots, several toads...etc. Man I wish I lived in the SouthEast. I think a good choice would be one of the Psuedacris species(chorus frogs)...they are pretty abundant in some places even suburbs.
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update since it's been a couple weeks. I started out feeding them algae wafers, and moved on to some old cichlid pellets and live blackworms as they got older. There were so many tadpoles that I had to hold off sprouting my lotus seeds and use the tubs as tadpole growout tubs (pic 1). I've got hundreds of tadpoles in the two red lotus pans, and also had put a couple dozen tadpoles in each of my three established tub gardens.

We've been watching them and have started noticing that some of them had their back legs emerging. Yesterday my daughter and I noticed the first few who have started their metamorphosis - front legs too, but they still have the tail. That didn't stop them from coming out onto the lily pads though. I'm pretty sure they are Grass Frogs - which is good because they stay small and it looks like we will probably have 700 or so grow to maturity from this first hatch.

Meanwhile, the parents have laid eggs two more times since my first email. Most of these have been food for my fish and the older tadpoles, but at this rate I'll be knee deep in frogs before the summer ends.

Here, by the way, is proof of the dangers of overstocking: the tadpoles from the overstocked lotus pans are small and I've hardly noticed any with legs yet. But the tadpoles that grew up in an established water garden wiht plenty of room are already starting to emerge from the water, and when they were tadpoles they were easily twice the size of those in the lotus pans.

One of two lotus pans used for growout:

Juvenile frog about to hop off the edge of my lotus tub (20 gallon planttainer sunk into the ground):

another juvenile in the same water garden - some guppies in the shot for size comparison.

Upload Pic with PicTiger
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great. Are you planning on keeping a few in a terrarium once they grow larger?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not - I think I'd rather have them free-range out in the yard. I think my husband would kill me if I tried to bring another pet of any kind inside the house.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: