Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hoping to set up a saltwater tank LOTS of questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
debs
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.22(Mon)16:33    Post subject: Hoping to set up a saltwater tank LOTS of questions Reply with quote

Hi - I have read lots of posts on this subject but the more I read the more confused I get......

I would like to set up a SW tank and I am torn between buying a standard aquarium ie Rena/Aqua One etc.. 48" x 24" x 15" or so appx 250-300l which will come with heater, standard lighting and external filter- or an Aqua Medic Chromis which is appx 24" x 24" x 24" 150l which comes complete with skimmer, halide lighting and filter and is specifically made for a marine setup.

The reason I am torn is that the price is about the same for the two but the size is obviously different, I would like the larger tank but if I have to then start adapting it, I will probably get lost and also spend a fortune.

I only want to keep a few fish and would like to have live rock with some critters, not that bothered about corals as I don't feel confident enough for them at the moment.

What I want to know is if I get the bigger tank that is only set up for FW
1. Do I need to get halide lighting or could I get away with flourescent tubes if I only want live rock and fish?
2. Do I need a skimmer if I just have rock and fish?
3. Will the external filter that comes with this be okay, I have read that you need to remove the media if using in SW tank???
4. How much sand and rock would I need for either tank?

sorry if I am coming across totally thick...!!!

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.22(Mon)19:02    Post subject: Re: Hoping to set up a saltwater tank LOTS of questions Reply with quote

debs wrote:
1. Do I need to get halide lighting or could I get away with flourescent tubes if I only want live rock and fish?

You can use regular fourescents.

Quote:
2. Do I need a skimmer if I just have rock and fish?

You don't need it, but it's a good idea to have one.

Quote:
3. Will the external filter that comes with this be okay, I have read that you need to remove the media if using in SW tank???

Not sure, but I'd recommend the skimmer over the filter.

Quote:
4. How much sand and rock would I need for either tank?

You'll want enough sand to make an inch or so sandbed. As for rock, as much as you want if it's fish only. There's no minimum amount, but I'd gestimate you'd want at least 10-20 lb.

Quote:
sorry if I am coming across totally thick...!!!

Don't worry about it. We all have to start somewhere. Wink
debs
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for replying - I really appreciate it, I have a day off today so I am going to get some books from the library and have a chat with LFS...I'm so excited!
debs
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

also what tank would you recommend then? the pre-set up smaller one - or would you go for the larger one - which if everything goes okay I could add halides to in the future?
debs
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, more questions..... phone LFS and told him what I was thinking about and he said live rock ARE coral????

if I have flourescent tubes and bought live rock would I get life growing on and in it? or would it need higher intensity lighting to grow, as I don't want to waste money by buying live rock if I don't have the correct conditions for it to survive... hope that makes sense.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is be VERY careful what various LFS tell you. Some of them are very good, but some are just horrible in terms of information.

From what I'm reading, I can say that the larger tank would probably be better...more water volume means more margin for error.

Live rock is coral...sort of. It's dead coral skeletons mostly. It may also have coral hitchhikers on it that will start to grow once in your tank if the conditions are favourable.

Live rock doesn't really require light per se, but some things like algae/coral that hitchhike in on the rock may...most of these (not all) are beneficial to a marine aquarium and should be encouraged. I'd guess that most things on live rock will survive under standard T8 fluoros (actually most of the stuff you want on live rock probably won't need light in the first place), unless you find some funky coral on it.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the critters on live rock will survive about any lighting there are a lot of them that come out at night instead of during the day, also for corraline alge the color of it may depend on the lighting but its all the same and will do fine.

I have a filter on mine emporer 400. I have always used the filter along with the skimmer and put both on the tank together.

The sand depends on how deep you want it some go with shallow sand beds up to 3 inches anyting over that would be considered a deep sand bed. Live rock is reccomened usually 1-1 1/2 pounds per gallon.

and since your into reading which is good and finding out info here is a good beginner site

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
debs
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.29(Mon)4:15    Post subject: one step forward and two back!!! Reply with quote

Confused
right,I thought I had saw a good deal - aqualantide evasion 120xl 120 x 55 x 40cm comes with 2 x 30w T8 flourescent tubes, one white one blue, red sea prizm skimmer and pen plax external cannister filter.......sorted!!! all this comes for
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.30(Tue)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prizm skimmers are one of the cheaper skimmers on the market and thats what I had. It ran for about 5 years I was happy with it I'm not sure what other experiences others have had with it. It did start leaking but I think the seal on the bottom went bad but was thinking of getting a replacement seal and keeping it as a back up skimmer. IMO there one of the better ones you can get for the low price.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.30(Tue)13:34    Post subject: Re: one step forward and two back!!! Reply with quote

debs wrote:
however on speaking to another shopkeeper who is bluntly honest with opinons - he said don't DO IT,
in this case, he's right on.

one puny 30W light is not going to be enough... If you can't up the light from the 2 30W tubes, then at least put two 6500K daylights in rather than waste one tube on the actinic. If you want the blue look of actinic, go for 2 10,000K bulbs.

The red sea skimmer is fine for a fish only tank on tile.

If you really want a fool proof skimmer that works and won't leak or overflow then the remora is the way to go.

My advice, get a remora ($200 US) and a rack of 4 T5 bulbs, only one of which should be actinic.

This way you are aiming for a terrific long term approach to this tank. HTH
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: