Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Submersible Webcam - Picture heavy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.17(Sun)17:36    Post subject: Submersible Webcam - Picture heavy Reply with quote

Ever since I got my first aquarium about 3 years ago, I've thought it'd be cool to have a camera in the tank. As of last night, I've decided it's time to make one Smile

I'm including a few pictures of the work in process for now. I'm making notes on what I'm doing and on ways to improve the process. Once this is done and tested sucessfully (at least I [b]HOPE/[b] it will be sucessful), I'll post the instructions.

I've already done some partial submergence testing for image quality. I might have a problem with glare, but I won't know for sure until I seal and fully submerge the enclosure. There also might be a bouyancy problem, but I've added 5 plant weights so far, hoping the added weight will eliminate that problem.

All that out of the way, here's some pictures...

Webcam, still mostly factory-assembled

Webcam, disassembled

Webcam housing, in progress

Webcam housing, nearing completion, with cam (unsecured)

Weighing down the housing. It's not pretty, but it's functional

Test picture, will revise the settings once everything is completely cured. I do need to add more weight to the housing to get it to submerge properly.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.18(Mon)2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Did you use aquarium safe sealant though?
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.18(Mon)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Smile Two colours, even. Putting the black sealant on the outside of the housing to limit the amount of light allowed into the casing.

Still having a problem with bouyancy, which I expected. I'm going to attach the camera to a piece of slate and see if that helps. If not, then I'll just open the top, move the camera forward to the front of the glass and seal it in place and then load the casing with vegetable oil.

Don't laugh, I'm serious. I mean, if you can use it for cooling a http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/, it can certainly be used for this as well. Just have to make sure that I don't get any oil in front of the lens. Yellow pictures are bad.
TolkienGeek
Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.18(Mon)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to fill it with cooking oil? Oil is lighter than water, it'll float better than ever.

"Would you eat poo?" - Said the Corydoras catfish...
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.18(Mon)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighter than water, heavier than air. Smile The cam ALMOST sinks, as is. Besides, it'd just be weird(er) than normal. Of course, I'm going to try the slate first.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.09.18(Mon)16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just fill up the casing with aquarium gravel or something? I would be a bit concerned about using oil.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.19(Tue)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great idea but the problem is that the lens are not in contact with the water or are overprotected and the glare shows up clearly. Maybe you could cut the circumference of the lens area and paste a thinner glass cover onto the case where the lens are being exposed. I don't if you get it but its just a though all though its complicated.
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.20(Wed)1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, tore apart the case and am redoing it. V2 of the camera will boast the following 'features':

More streamlined design - Say goodbye to that ugly hunk of plastic. With the new and improved case, the footprint has been reduced by 40%

Improved glare reduction* - By allowing direct contact between the camera lens and the water, the glare is virtually eliminated

*pending proof of concept Wink

Yeah, between the overly large case and the glare issue, I couldn't get it to balance correct. So, I'm going to rework it all around and see what happens Smile

Oh, and just for the record, trying to get a clean break on a strip of acrylic that's only 3/8" wide is hard!
brianD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.20(Wed)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about trying lexan?? you can get a cheap sheet of it at a hobby shop
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.20(Wed)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a shot. I just grabbed a small piece of acrylic at the local Home Despot.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: