Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Innovative sumps
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mat167
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)20:10    Post subject: Innovative sumps Reply with quote

Hi, I'm interested in adding a sump to my 50 gallon reef (still unfinished) except that my stand is not large enough to hold anything more than around a 15 gallon tank. My question is this; does anyone have any original ways to make a sump? I'd like to house at least 20 gallons of water for the sump, and my friend suggested a rubber sack. How about some opinions on that as well?
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to how one would use a rubber sack but... here's a link to a 33G. tank with a 5.5G. sump http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=35104

Is there a reason you are shooting for 20G.'s? If space forces you to use a smaller space remember that a sump can be as simple as a space to hold a skimmer and a return pump.
The tank in the link is still doing well. The issue in that case was that the stand had a center brace that divided the bottom, only allowing a small sump. A standard 10G. will do nicely for a simple sump. Another option is to stoll along the houseware aisles and see if a rubbermaid storage bin will fit the space.
Mat167
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot! I was looking into 20 gallons to increase my total water volume but a smaller one to house my skimmer and heaters would be more than sufficient. Well thanks again, not only for the plans but to open my eyes to the blinding obvious!
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.

The one point to remember with a smaller sump is to make sure that it can hold the back flow that results when there is a power failure. There should be minimal reverse siphoning if the feeds and drains are done right and the only other consideration is the amount of water your pipes hold. Just do a test run power failure and adjust your normal sump water level to accommodate.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: