Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Frag Bucket Mod for transporting frags
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.17(Wed)23:10    Post subject: DIY Frag Bucket Mod for transporting frags Reply with quote

I have taken an idea from a fellow hobbyist that lives in NY. He came to the swap that our club just had, so I changed it a bit so the container helps eliminate loss due to lack of water flow and aeration. I hope you guys enjoy this one. You can keep probably close to 60 frags depending on size in this bucket for transportation to a swap. The center tube is an airlift, bringing water from the bottom of the bucket to the top for circulation and aeration. There is also an air vent hole on the 1/2" t handle that I put in the lid.

Let me know what you guys think of this gadget?

thanks,

Rick
Ron J.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.18(Thu)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats frag Question
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.18(Thu)7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine fishkeeping term for pieces of coral broken off from a larger peice I believe. Looks like a good and well though out idea to me!
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.18(Thu)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are broken pieces of corals. Thanks for the compliment.

thanks again,

Rick
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they would roll all over the place in there?

Do you only use the plugs with the lil leg at the bottom that slides into the egg crate squares?

Very cool idea for long transport. Our club is close I just toss them into a tupperware with some water LOL

Do they sell small battery powered water pumps? To eliminate the need for the air stone?

wonder if these could be modified to work

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Zee-Battery-Water-Pump-for-5-Gallon-Water-Bottle-NIB_W0QQitemZ290068602128QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16035QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Pump-Garden-Fountain-Pond-Water-Feature-Battery_W0QQitemZ190066904994QQihZ009QQcategoryZ57230QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two different uses with the same setup.

I can hook up a battery powered airpump or a battery operated water pump.

I also have the DC to AC converter for the car so I get to use a good quality air pump. I also can hook up a heater to the converter for long trips. The club I belong to has swaps all across the state of PA so most of our events are not close to my home so I had to come up with something to transport them effieciently.

YES, I only use the fragplugs with the cement shaped like a nipple on a baby bottle so they stay in place while being tossed around in transport.

It works very well and even though it is not insulated it does keep the temperature pretty stable too.

This has also cut down on the frags I loose in transport due to stagnant water!

thanks for the compliments and feedback,

thanks again,

Rick
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get your battery powered water pump from?
rickyfins
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from the local hobby store. It is actually for a live bait tank. It usually used on a boat for the live well or for a bait bucket.

I think it cost around $25 and pumps about 300-500gph

A DC bilge pump would also work!

thanks,

Rick
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company Frabill has a few battery powered accessories used in fishing that might also be suitable for this (pumps/aerorators).
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: