Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fancy Goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fancygoldies
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.15(Mon)14:52    Post subject: Fancy Goldfish Reply with quote

Everytime I go to my LFS I always noticed a tank with small fancy goldfish.I've always wanted to get a tank of them.I was wondering How bigg of a tank do I need for them?The ones I nocticed are very small and I was wondering If the grow much bigger?
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi! I can certainly understand why you are interested in Goldfish as they're one of my favorites.Allowing ten gallons per goldfish is the best way to figure out what size tank you want.Those little Goldies that you see are tiny right now,but have the capability of growing anywhere from 8-12 inches.
It's recommended that you start with at least a 10 gal. tank to begin with.A good filter is also recommended as Goldies are pretty messy fish and produce quite a lot of waste.Normally we tell people a Filter Rate 10 X's the size of their tank,so a ten gal. tank would need a filter of at least 100 gph.(gallons per hour) flow rate. Hope this helps. Smile
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lil.

The general feeling is that you should have at least, or rather, start with a 30g and then (as Devs has stated) add 10g for every fish you add.

I totally support this as a minimum, if you wish to give goldfish an acceptable environment. But to be honest, IMHO it will be rare/if not imposable for 2 goldfish to reach 12in or even 10in in 40g. Yet compared to a 5g that goldfish often find to be their home, a 40g is great.

As Devs has said, good filtration is of paramount importance, along with regular water changes.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: