Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish tank size???
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishlover01
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)17:50    Post subject: Goldfish tank size??? Reply with quote

I was wondering how big of tanks the following goldfish need

Common goldfish
3in fully grown black moor
3in fully grown assorted fancy goldfish

any help is appreciated!
grapeape
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a fancy and a black moor 3inches is far from fully grown. Every goldfish has the potential to reach 12+ inches. Also fancies and commens should not be kept in the same tank since the commons will eat most of the food before the fancies get any
fishlover01
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how big of a tank do common goldfish need?
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.18(Thu)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishlover01 ,

The common goldfish is one variety of goldfish which is very hardy , competitive , and is mostly a good choice for most ponds and water gardens.In a fairly sized pond they are known to grow as large as 12-14 inches and in a large aquarium (75Gallons and up) from 6-9 inches , again depending on the size of the aquarium.I have kept a few of these guys temp in an aquarium and they outgrew it very fast. Another thing to keep in mind is that they DO NOT belong in a same aquarium with fancy goldies for obvious reasons ( feeding , space , breeding , etc etc ) . Hope this helped out in some way.

ACE
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.19(Fri)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common goldfish need a minimum of 15-20 gallons per fish in an aquarium. In ponds it is better to use the 30 gallon per fish rule. In the aquarium you will be making more frequent water changes. They are BIG waste producers. Be sure to have excellent filtration. I keep 3 in a 100 gallon pond. They're about 8 inches and still growing. Have survived two very cold winters.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like your goldfish to grow to 12in+. I'd advise that you buy then straight from a breeder (one which keeps goldfish and fry in large ponds) and not from a LFS, unless the local fish shop has decent sized tanks or the goldfish has not been exposed to the limited amount of space very long. The reason I say this, is that the first +-160 days of a goldfish's life greatly affects its growth-rate /final-size (if allowed to grow).

I had one goldfish that was given to me about 3-4 years ago. I kept him in one of the 400L ponds and he has not grown
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: