Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
2000 Gallon Pond Setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One other question... where do you even start when it comes to cycling a pond? It must take years if it is anything like in an aquarium... I will probably be using some bio bags from my home aquariums too.

Well it is often advised to add bio bacteria monthly, but personally I put about 5 fish in my ponds after a 2-3 days stand period (filter running, plants in, no fish)
And have never had cycling problems. It is due to the ratio of fish to water volume.

I'd say stand period for a week and then add five fish per week.

The only thing I would personally not make my self is the UV but there are plans on the net to do this.

Drum Fluidized bed filter: The system is used the counter flow concept of water and air. The water is fed from submersible pump through 1st chamber and flow downward to the outlet to the next chamber. 6 air stones are used to let media moving around and feeding oxygen for nitrification reaction.

I suggest to put the plastic net at the inlet pipe to prevent the media escape from the unit.

Drum bead filter: It's similar to a sand filter but uses plastic beads.
This PP Bead Filter is an improvement over the sand filter.

PP stands for Polypropelene, I call it PP Bead because the plastic bead used is Polypropelene bead. It has a relative density of 0.92 (or so) so it floats.

Water would be drawn from the pond and pumped to the bottom of bead filter. It filters through the beads and come out at the top of drum. The five valves are there to enable filtration, backwashing and rinsing.

The advantage it has over the sand filter is obvious. The beads are light and it floats, when backwashed the fish waste could easily be dislodged and drain off from the bottom of the filter.

Try using this filter as your prefilter. Pump the water through PP bead filter first and then discharge it to your existing bio filter.

Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bit overwhelming! I was thinking of just doing a pp bead filter. Would that be okay?
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just for interest. The Simple Drum Filter

This shows the inside of the 55 gallon drum with the 2" shower drain for the bottom drain. The reason it is positioned where it is because it is one of the lowest points in the barrel and it was the only smooth place on the bottom. Ideally it would be in the exact center but there is a mold seam there and it will not allow a good seal.

URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Here it is with the inlet. The 2" bulkhead fitting is the same as the one at the top left but it isn't visible in the picture due to the shadow. By installing the inlet like this it will slow the water down some and help with settlement. It also will be a support for the Japenese Matt media.

By installing the outlet like so the PVC pipe will serve to hold the media down and with the elbow turned up it will pick up oxygen before going back to the pond. When using it before a pump, you need to turn the elbow down and use a pipe strainer on the end.

This filter can be pump fed or gravity fed. With the 2" inlet and outlet a flow rate of 600-1,000 gph is recommended. If you gravity feed the filter with the pump after you will need to turn the elbow down so it doesn't pick up any air.

You can see here the Japp Matt is rolled up to fit the drum nice and neat. Its approx 24" in diameter.

The bird netting is folded 3 ways so I unroll it, spread it out, gather it up and stuff it into the barrel.
You can use a piece of egg crate to help hold the netting below the water with the outlet pipe over that. If you build one of these filters make sure any of the media you use can't get drawn into the outlet and clog it. If you have it outside cover the top of the barrel so leaves or other debris can't get in and stop up the outlet. Be sure to leave an air space between the lid and the barrel. You can use heavy shade cloth to cover if outside.

This is showing the drain.

Some Direct quotes have been taken form koi.my.com
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the basic setup considering your situation.

A basic setup I would be:
Suitable UV steriliser
1 Drum bead filter (Will need to be back washed now and then)
1 Drum Fluidized bed filter (Using K1 (media) or something in that line)

With this you could keep koi or goldfish and the water will stay clear.

I know the UV is not the cheapest bit of filtration ever invented and you could probably skip it, but it just makes life so much easer, and the water will stay clear.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.15(Sun)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff- just replied so I could find this later- thanks for the info.

-K
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: