Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
can koi be kept in aquariums?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
artenez
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.07(Sun)21:09    Post subject: can koi be kept in aquariums? Reply with quote

I have koi placed in a 20 gallon aquarium. it has been 2 years now and they got bigger. is it bad to still keep them there?
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.07(Sun)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is recommended that each koi has 1000 (one thousand) gallons of water. Obviously, you should not keep these fish in your aquarium. Wink

I suggest you return them to your lfs, or find another suitable home for them.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with michael. How big is it? After 2 years it should be at least a foot long, but its probably stunted..
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and find some places near you where there are ponds and wehere there are goldfish keepers. Some restaurants like Mandarin might accept them, or maybe just youre Local Fish Store. Try and send him to a reputable and accustomizing home for that koi.
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)14:24    Post subject: Koi Reply with quote

Only small koi can be kept in aquariums. Your koi must be big now, so perhaps if you have a pond, put them in.

Ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the fact he keeps him in an aquarium, he is very likely not to know why it is important to keep them in ponds and he is also likely not to have one... Wink ...hehe...just a notice.
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)15:20    Post subject: Re: Koi Reply with quote

ernie wrote:
Only small koi can be kept in aquariums. Your koi must be big now, so perhaps if you have a pond, put them in.

Ernie

Not true... If you have a 1000 gallon plus aquarium a koi would be fine Laughing

But, young koi(3-7 inches) are very active IME. They shouldnt be kept in your average aquarium. I would say maybe 125 gallon for young koi. But, koi grow very fast so no point in keeping them in an aquarium.
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)12:54    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Yes certainly TJ, but I mean most common aquariums people have.

Ernie
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The koi pictured in the followup to this month's photo contest ( http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=32457&start=50) are the same species as what you have tried to house in your aquarium. You are welcome to ask Marcos how old they are, but I bet some of the fish in that picture are only a few years old.

I'd also like to call your attention to this site's position on stocking and stunting - I think it is applicable here. http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20742

My personal opinion is that not even "small" koi should be kept in aquariums - even large ones - and in this particular situation the best solution is to find a much, much larger home for them as soon as possible. And to clarify Ciklido J.R.'s point (I'm fairly certain this is what he meant) - please find a koi pond, rather than a pond pond. Do not release into the wild.
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.11(Thu)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioned in an earlier post to this topic , 1000 thousand gallons is not really needed for a single koi , although it would be a dream for that single fish to have this much room to swim in.Other things you have to consider is this a juvenile or adult koi ? True enough koi of any kind should not be kept in home aquariums , but speaking from experience we kept koi in quarantine tanks 250gallons and up for a week or two and only a few of them before releasing them in their ponds.

ACE[/quote]
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: