Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Water Bridge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, here's something simple. Just get a pipe running from one side of the 35g to one side of the 10g. Just drill a hole in each side. BTW, what are you trying to accomplish with this bridge? Just to be able to get water from one to the other?
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is to have a crazy-cool, see-though tube that fish swim through. I have reseached a lot about them, but I never encountered the upward slope problem.

I don't really want to drill holes in the tanks because I would like for them to still be useable afterwards, if I decide to take it down.

I think that I will be putting this project on the back burner for at least a month because I am going to be setting up a pond pretty quickly. Also, I am working on a sump for the 35 gallon right now.

Once the sump is up and runing, I can always do a continuous flow from the 35 gallon- to the sump- to the 10 gallon, which could make a pretty cool waterfall effect.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the pond. Where I first got into fishkeeping. I have a water trough at home that is filled with goldfish and plants like papyrus(can't remember spelling), hornwort, arrow plants, and some other stuff. Absolutely zero maintainence, granted the water is so green that you can barely see a few inches in.

Last edited by CCS on 2006.05.08(Mon)22:38; edited 1 time in total
achafe
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

A waterfall you can do, a water bridge you can not do unless you drill holes in each tank (ie, combining the tanks).

Physically, fluids seek their own level. Meaning that fluids (ie, water) of same density (ie, 1000 kg/m^3) in a system will be level with each other. It would work if the top tank contained partly oil, haha!

However, even with a small difference in height and hence, a narrower 'bridge' you would need one hell of a pump to keep the system equalized. Such a pump would not be plausible in a tank containing living things.

Sorry if I sound mean or anything, I'm really not being mean here! lol!
Sorry to bust your bubble (haha bubble)

Cheers
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bubble busting here. I think that instead, I am going to make a killer sump/ refugium kind of thing. I will probably load the sump up with duckweed and have a super-bio-filter.

I just need a project because I am bored out of my mind here.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

achafe wrote:
A waterfall you can do, a water bridge you can not do unless you drill holes in each tank
A water bridge is easy.
If the tanks are level, then all you need to do is fill the bridge with water and the water will not flow out of the bridge...
the reason his first diagram would flood is that the tanks are open topped and would equalize to each other...
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.08(Mon)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A water bridge is easy.
If the tanks are level, then all you need to do is fill the bridge with water and the water will not flow out of the bridge...
the reason his first diagram would flood is that the tanks are open topped and would equalize to each other...

The reason that it will not work is because the two tanks are not level with eachother. The ten galon would be on a work bench and the other would be on a stand. The ten gallon water line is about 1.5 ft. above the 35 gallon's.

One day, if I move the 35 gallon, I will set it up so that I can do this.
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.09(Tue)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

this link explains everything about a water bridge and has photo`s

http://www.bio-elite.com/waterbridge.htm
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.09(Tue)7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already went through that link, but thanks.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it wouldn't matter if the top's of the tanks were or are uncovered, they would not flood from a water bridge. It' like inverting a cup under water in a bath tub, voiding it of all air, and then pulling it to the surface of the water, but not breaking the surface tension. Think of it as a vaccum affect. It doesn't "fall" back into the tub because there is no air or any other substance to displace it.

As Number6 said, the two tanks were not at the same height.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: