Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planning on a small pond
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2006.05.28(Sun)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump* Someone please answer my question, I installed the filter, and pump, and added feeders for cycling, with clumps of anarchis. After its cycled, can I add ammano shrimp?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.01(Thu)4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was busy on breeding farm, no internet on farm Confused

Well, what filter did you get and what size pump?

Yes, Amano Algae Eating Shrimp(Caridina japonica) can be kept in pond but the temp must not drop below 7˚C or so.
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.01(Thu)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering, I wanted other scavengers besides hillstream loaches and a dojo loach. Anyways we filled up some of it so its only 2ft deep for saftey issuses, and I got a beckett pump and filter for a large sized pond, I belive for up to 700 gallons. You know, the ones at home depot. Also, I added some aquarium plants, amazon sword, onion plant, anarchis, and some others. They are very large, and btw its a water onion in case you were worried. I also planted some water lily bulbs. All I need now is to cycle, and decorate the border, the liner is still showing, all I put are brick steping stones, and a brick fence like object around it. I plan to add the shrimp sometime next week. The pond is now 567 gallons. Thank you all for your help, I don't think I'll be needing help anymore on this project, but thank you, I couldn't have done it without you!
P:S: It is 90 degrees here, but the pond is shaded, so don't worry about it, thank you very much Very Happy
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.02(Fri)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barchef: how cold are your winters? I think if you are near where I am(in the Central Valley, gardening zone 7) many tropical plants won't make the winter. If you are down in Southern CA you are better off than I am.

I've only skimmed this but a few concerns.

Birds: You should be prepared in case birds come for takeout meals and have ways to protect your fish. I occasionally get egrets and a rare green heron that come to my pond and I do not doubt they take an occasional fish(hopefully they also nail the bullfrogs). Since you are stalking fancy goldfish in shallow water they would be very vulnerable. Cats, raccoons, etc. are also a possiblity with fancy goldfish.

If fantails work, black moors should. I would stay away from the veil tailed black moors though and choose the shorter finned ones. I read that someone keeps celestials in his pond and considers them quite hardy fish. He claims the are better equipped to escape birds but I kind of doubt that...but I can see the reasoning! Laughing Should your goldfish spawn you will have a bunch of weirdos on your hands.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.02(Fri)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

My winters? My winters are usually warm, temperatures in the 70s. Thats south california for you Cool . I have never ever seen any predetor birds in this reigion, and theres a dog in there with them, so cats aren't a problem, they're too scared to go in the yard. As for racoons, I can't imagine how one would get in, I have ideal conditions for a pond like this, so you needn't worry about that stuff. Its under a willow tree, and I cut down most of the branches, so only one hangs over it, and strangly enough, the comets are eating the fallen leaves! Laughing . I will remove the comets after it is stocked, I'll donate them to this place called descanso gardens, they have koi, and goldfish in a complicated river connected to various ponds, and a lake, the comets should be fine there Wink . The comets have grown already, I'm suprised they are so hardy. From now on all I will give is updates, since I already set it up. I will buy lepord frog tadpoles soon, I belive that will turn out nicley, and POSSIBLY 2 red bellied newts.(The chineese version) I have read that they are harmless to fish, unless eaten, and do not wonder from the body of water. Of course I will add them after the pond is mature, they seem interesting, peaceful, and Ideal for the type of water I have. Most of the fish in there will be chineese, its almost a biotype, and the red bellys live with those fish in nature, so they would coexist nomally, and besides I made sure they would by reading about it.
P:S The dog has been trained, after much work Rolling Eyes to NOT SWIM IN THE POND. He tried drinking water, but decided it tasted nasty, and is not a danger to the pond. He is actually quite helpful, because he lets nothing in the yard, except a particullarly large unusual raven, and random songbirds. Just to reassure you Wink
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.03(Sat)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

My climate is very similar to Barchef's and I can keep practically any goldfish in my ponds or rather, I haven't encountered any problems with any goldfish yet (and I doubt I will Cool ).
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.05(Mon)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I added two 1 inch chineese hillstream loaches, and a calico fantail this weekend. I got rid of one of the comets, and next weekend I will get rid of the other comet, and replace it with a red fantail. The ammonia, and nitrite spiked already, and are now at acceptable levels; Ammonia:0 Nitrite:very low. I already have nitrates, about 10ppm. The fish have eaten strange mite like bugs that leap on top of the water, and mosquito larvae, that the mosquitos have stupidly left in the pond. The water was slightly tannin stained, but I cut down the last branch, and now no leaves fall in, and the filter removed the tannin. The fish seem to be enjoying themselves, the remaining comet is buddies with the fantail, and they do not compete for food, since there is so much avalible. I might also add rosy barbs, since they can be kept in these temperatures, the water is 70 degrees. I placed western bark chips to cover the liner, and there are round brick stepping stones that I also placed. I am planning on introducing baby tears into that particular area to make it look greener, the area around the pond is all dirt. Sorry I can't get pictures, but I will try to borrow someones camera to take a picture, and show you soon. All that is needed is the baby tears, and the water lilies.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, but like you said...
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye... Laughing . Any moderator is welcome to close this thread now, when I get pictures, I'll make a topic in the photo album section. I don't need any advice on this, as it is practicly finished, but thank you oscer, noname, maura, and ernie for all your suggestions, and help. Oscer you deserve to be a moderator, every topic in this section you have replied to, and helped in one way or another. Thank you Very Happy .
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.09(Fri)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pleasure. Hope all goes well.

Quote:
Oscer you deserve to be a moderator, every topic in this section you have replied to, and helped in one way or another. Thank you Very Happy

I realy appreciate it Barchef Very Happy
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: